New York Fashion Week spring/summer 2018 ended yesterday, and with it’s conclusion comes the forecasting of next season’s trends.
From sheer clothing to sparkly shoes, there were several recurring styles on multiple designer runways that need to be recognized.
Here, FEMAIL highlights the 12 trends we will all be rocking in 6 months time.
1. LOVELY LILAC: While pastels for spring are nothing new, pretty shades of lilac took center stage at shows like Michael Kors, Victoria Beckham, Tibi and Tom Ford.
Pastel pretty: Lilac fashions walked the runways of Baja East (left) and Tom Ford (right)
2. FASHION FORWARD FANNY PACKS: The hands-free bag was made popular again this summer thanks to Kendall Jenner. Designers like Marc Jacobs, Noon by Noor and Public School think they will be an even bigger hit come next spring.
Back in style: Marc Jacobs (left) and Noon by Noor (right) made the fanny pack cool again
Hands free: Public School (left) and Vivienne Tam (right) both jumped on the fanny pack bandwagon for spring 2018
3. GET IN THE GAME: Basketball jerseys, track jackets and sweats were given cool fashion upgrades thanks to designers like Monse, Alexander Wang and Baja East. Think sequins, flattering silhouettes and nipped waistlines.
Sporty spice: Monse sent bedazzled basketball jerseys down their runway (left), while Alexander Wang gave track jackets a cool tie front at his spring show (right)
Sporty spice: Models at the Baja East (left) and Fenty Puma by Rihanna (right) shows looked like they were about to hit the gym
4. SHEER GENIUS: While sexy cut-outs are popular for fall, next season’s skin-baring fashions come in the form of see-through fabrics thanks to Victoria Beckham, Prabal Gurung and Jason Wu.
Skin baring: You’ll definitely need underpinnings to wear these Victoria Beckham (left) and Prabal Gurung (right) designs
See-through designs: Sheer black clothing was a trend seen at top shows like Jason Wu (left) and Vivienne Tam (right)
5. TASTE THE RAINBOW: Whether it was through the bold stripes seen at Alice + Olivia and Tome, or the paint-splattered fashions that came down the catwalk at Oscar de la Renta and Carolina Hererra, rainbow fashions will be big next season.
Stand out in a crowd: Rainbow stripes were seen at both the Alice + Olivia (left) and Tome (right) presentations this week
Just a hint: Oscar de la Renta (left) and Carolina Herrera (right) both used white dresses as blank canvases to splatter rainbow colored paints
6. SWINGING FRINGE: Fringe is set to be one of spring’s hottest trends after practically every top designer including Monse, Calvin Klein and Ulla Johnson sent swinging fashions down their runways.
Deconstructed fashions: Fringed clothing were seen all over the Monse (left) and Calvin Klein (right) spring/summer 2018 shows
Chic outerwear: This fringe tiered coat stole the show at Ulla Johnson this week
Swing swing: Naeem Khan (left) and Sally LaPointe (right) both sent fringed fashions down their spring/summer runways
7. QUIRKY STRAW BAGS: Classic straw bags were given interesting updates in the form of new silhouettes, embellishments and details, at the 3.1 Phillip Lim, Brock Collection and Vivienne Tam shows.
Oversize tote: Michael Kors designed an oversized straw bag that’s meant to be folded over
8. BUTTON IT UP: Tibi, Derek Lam and Calvin Klein want to keep you modest next spring with structured collared shirts that are buttoned all the way up.
9. SPARKLY SHOES: Glittery footwear ruled the runways of Libertine, Anna Sui, Coach and Victoria Beckham. The shimmering shoes will add just the right amount of sparkle to any look.
Sequined shoes: Libertine’s quirky multicolored sequin heels stole the show
High-shine: Anna Sui (left) and Coach (right) both sent gold glitter shoes down their spring/summer 2018 catwalks
Glitter Bomb: Victoria Beckham designed these dazzling pumps for spring 2018
10. PRINCESS COUTURE: While they may not be part of your everyday wardrobe, over-the-top princess dresses are having a moment next season. ‘My customer wants ball gowns and opulence,’ said designer Pamella Roland before her show this week.
Over-the-top: Awe-inspiring gowns walked the runways of Marchesa (left) and Badgley Mischka (right)
Showstopper: Brandon Maxwell sent this dazzling ballgown down his spring/summer 2018 runway
Red carpet gowns: We wouldn’t be surprised if we saw these Carolina Herrera (left) and Pamella Roland (right) gowns on celebs come awards season
11. ORANGE ZEST: The bright and bold hue was seen on practically every top designer’s runway this week, including Badgley Mischka, Tom Ford, Fenty Puma by Rihanna and Dennis Basso.
Bright hue: Badgley Mischka (left) and Dennis Basso (right) both designed pretty orange frocks
12. HEAD GAMES: Come next spring it’s all about hair accessories! Whether it’s a head scarf or a feathered headband, Marc Jacobs and Alexander Wang are making bad hair days a non-issue.
Go bold: Marc Jacobs send models down the runway in printed headscarves (left) and Delpozo outfitted their models with oversized bow headpieces (right)
High fashion headbands: Alexander Wang debuted a feathered ‘Party Animal’ headband (left), while Dennis Basso designed a pretty beaded version for spring (right)