News, Culture & Society

Florida man dies after infected with bacteria from raw oysters

Florida man, 71, dies after eating raw oysters tainted with deadly bacteria

  • Sarasota, Florida, resident died on July 10 after eating raw oyster at local eatery
  • Florida Department of Health declined to identify victim or restaurant
  • Man contracted Vibrio vulnificus, a deadly bacteria found in raw shellfish 

A 71-year-old Florida man has died from bacteria that he got from eating raw oysters.

The man died on July 10 after eating at an unidentified restaurant in Sarasota County, according to the Florida Department of Health.

Authorities have so far refused to reveal the man’s identity and the name of the restaurant.

The Department of Health confirmed the man’s death to the South Florida Sun Sentinel.

Health officials say that the man’s death was caused by a bacteria known as Vibrio vulnificus, which is commonly found in oysters and other types of seafood.

A 71-year-old Florida man has died from bacteria that he got from eating raw oysters, state authorities have said

It is rare for humans to be infected with the bacteria, though it can be contracted by eating raw shellfish, including oysters.

Health officials often advise bathers who want to go swimming in lakes, beaches, or rivers not to enter the water if they have cuts or scrapes.

Swimming with cuts could expose humans to potentially deadly bacteria.

Anyone with a weak immune system is advised to wear sandals or flip flops when entering the water to lower the risk of getting cut or scraped by seashells.

While Vibrio vulnificus is sometimes known as ‘flesh-eating bacteria,’ the label is misleading because humans with healthy skin are not at risk.


Vibrio is a strain of bacteria found in oysters and other seafood. It causes Vibriosis, which can be fatal.

People are at risk when they eat raw or under-cooked seafood or exposing a wound to seawater.

Vibriosis causes an estimated 80,000 illnesses and 100 deaths in the United States every year.

Most infections occur from May through October when water temperatures are warmer.

Symptoms usually occur within 24 hours and can last about three days. People with a weakened immune system are most at risk for severe illness or death.

Symptoms of vibriosis:

  • Diarrhea
  • Abdominal cramping
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Fever
  • Chills