Ford recalls more than 338,000 of its 2017 Explorers sold in North America after receiving 31 reports people cut their hands on sharp frame edges of the power seats
- Ford has issued a safety recall of 338,332 of its 2017 Explorer model cars
- The company had received 31 reports of hand injuries due to sharp seat edges
- People were said to have been injuring themselves when reaching between the front power seat and center console
- The cars were made from February 2016 to October 2017 at their Chicago plant
More than 338,000 Ford Explorers are being recalled because people have been cutting their hands on too-sharp seat frames.
Ford announced the safety recall, which affects select 2017 Ford Explorer vehicles, on Friday, due to ‘an improperly coined seat-frame edge,’ according to a media alert.
The cars in question were said to have power seats, some of which may have seat frames with ‘sharp edges,’ which drivers could injure themselves on when reaching between the power front seat and center console.
Ford announced the safety recall of more than 338,000 of its 2017 Ford Explorers on Friday
So far, the car company said that it has received 31 reports of hand injuries due to the sharp edges on the car seat frame. The exact nature of the injuries were not specified.
Car owners are being asked to bring the cars back to dealers, who will repair the issue by installing ‘flocked tape’ to the exposed sharp edge and tab on the inboard side of the power seat frames.
While waiting for this fix, owners are asked to be careful and avoid touching the seat frame edge.
The recall followed the company receiving 31 complaints that people had injured their hands on too-sharp seat edge frames between the front power seat and the center console (stock)
The recall is said to impact 311,907 of the 2017 Ford Explorers were were sold in the United States and federal territories, in addition to 23,380 of the cars sold in Canada and 3,045 sold in Mexico.
All of the cars were said to have been built at the company’s Chicago Assembly Plant between February 13, 2016 to October 25, 2017.
The Detroit Free Press reported that this recall is the third to have occurred in five weeks involving SUVs that were built at the Chicago plant. Ford has said that recent management changes were due to retirement, not quality control issues.