News, Culture & Society

Former 2GB host Alan Jones teases a return to talkback radio

Alan Jones has indicated he’s open to a return to radio. 

The veteran broadcaster, 80, who retired last year after claiming the workload was ‘detrimental’ to his health, told The Australian he was pondering a talkback return.

‘If someone wants to put a piece of paper in front of me I’ll be able to give them a “yes” or a “no” in five days,’ said the former 2GB star.

Coming back? Alan Jones (pictured in May) has indicated he’s open to a return to radio in an interview with The Australian on Monday

Jones also railed against his former contemporaries, claiming many are ‘too intimidated to say what needs to be said’ in the face of ‘cancel culture warriors’.

It’s a topic with which Jones has some experience, with ‘about 80 advertisers’ publicly distancing themselves from the former talkback king in the wake of comments he made about New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern. 

In 2019, Jones said the politician should have a ‘sock [shoved] down her throat’.  

Going down: Jones' comments come as his successor, Ben Fordham, continues to slide in the breakfast radio ratings

Going down: Jones’ comments come as his successor, Ben Fordham, continues to slide in the breakfast radio ratings

The Sky News host told The Australian the country was ‘screaming out’ for more conservative voices, with many commentators ‘too intimidated’ to speak up. 

‘There’s no point to being in the chair or behind the microphone if you haven’t got any balls, and that’s what the public expect,’ he said. 

Jones’ comments come as his 2GB successor, Ben Fordham, continues to slide in the breakfast radio ratings.

The former drive-time host, 44, has held onto Jones’ top spot in the AM rankings, but ABC Sydney’s breakfast duo Wendy Harmer and Robbie Buck have significantly closed the gap between first and second place.

Meanwhile, KIIS FM’s Kyle and Jackie O Show beat Fordham in the ratings for the first time ever, making them Sydney’s number-one show across both AM and FM bands. 

Shots fired: 'There’s no point to being in the chair or behind the microphone if you haven’t got any balls, and that’s what the public expect,' said Jones. Pictured here in 2008

Shots fired: ‘There’s no point to being in the chair or behind the microphone if you haven’t got any balls, and that’s what the public expect,’ said Jones. Pictured here in 2008

Meanwhile Triple M star Steve Price insists there is no bad blood between him and 2GB’s Ray Hadley after a deal saw him replace the talkback king on regional radio.

The 66-year-old told The Daily Telegraph on Saturday: ‘There’s no personal animosity between stuff at all. I consider Ray to be one of the good guys left at 2GB.’

The deal, which came into effect last week, saw Price – who moved to Southern Cross Austereo in 2019 – and his talk show take over The Ray Hadley Morning Show across Triple M’s regional networks.

It's all good: Steve Price (right) told The Daily Telegraph there is 'no personal animosity' between himself and 2GB host Ray Hadley (left) after replacing the talkback king on regional radio

It's all good: Steve Price (right) told The Daily Telegraph there is 'no personal animosity' between himself and 2GB host Ray Hadley (left) after replacing the talkback king on regional radio

It’s all good: Steve Price (right) told The Daily Telegraph there is ‘no personal animosity’ between himself and 2GB host Ray Hadley (left) after replacing the talkback king on regional radio

Australia Today with Steve Price will broadcast in markets such as Mt Gambier, Toowoomba, Dubbo and Maryborough.

The former I’m A Celebrity star said: ‘We texted (when it was announced) but we haven’t spoken directly about it.’

He said that his long-time friend was likely not happy about loosing his regional audience, but said it was business deal made by their bosses.

Regional radio take over: The deal, which came into effect this week, saw Price - who moved to Southern Cross Austereo in 2019 - and his talk show take over The Ray Hadley Morning Show across Triple M's regional networks

Regional radio take over: The deal, which came into effect this week, saw Price – who moved to Southern Cross Austereo in 2019 – and his talk show take over The Ray Hadley Morning Show across Triple M’s regional networks

‘So it may not be something that will sit that easily with him initially but Southern Cross made a business decision,’ he said. 

‘They had a contract with Nine that expired on June 30 and they decided to put their own talent in that slot and that’s just the way it goes.’

Daily Mail Australia has contact Nine Radio for comment. 

Out of their hands: Price said Hadley was likely not happy about loosing his regional audience, but said it was business deal made by their bosses. He said: 'So it may not be something that will sit that easily with him initially but Southern Cross made a business decision'

Out of their hands: Price said Hadley was likely not happy about loosing his regional audience, but said it was business deal made by their bosses. He said: ‘So it may not be something that will sit that easily with him initially but Southern Cross made a business decision’

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk