News, Culture & Society

Four men arrested over the alleged shooting death of Omar Elomar,18, after he stepped out of his car

Four men in their 20s are arrested in dawn raids over the alleged shooting death of an 18-year-old boy after he stepped out of his car

  • Four men have been arrested over the alleged shooting of Omar Elomar in 2020 
  • The 18-year-old was allegedly gunned down by a park in Miller, in Sydney’s west 
  • He died at the scene, with homicide detectives launching an investigation 
  • The men, all aged in their 20s, were arrested on Thursday during dawn raids 

Four men have been arrested in dawn raids over the alleged shooting death of a teenage boy in Sydney’s west two years ago.

Omar Elomar, 18, was shot outside a park in Cabramatta Avenue, Miller, after he stepped out of his car around 11.10pm on February 15, 2020. 

Emergency services rushed to the scene, but despite the best efforts of paramedics, Mr Elomar could not be saved. 

Detectives from the State Crime Command’s Homicide Squad launched Strike Force Cero to investigate Mr Elomar’s death. 

In February 2020, Noah Albert, then aged 18, was charged on separate occasions over his alleged involvement in the murder but has since been acquitted.

Omar Elomar (pictured) was allegedly gunned down in a western Sydney park on February 15, 2020 

After further investigations, detectives arrested four men – aged 25, 20, 23 and 22 – at homes in Bonnyrigg, Macquarie Fields, Gregory Hills, and Orange just before 6am on Thursday.

Investigators were assisted by officers attached to Central West Police District and South West Metropolitan Region Enforcement Squad throughout the operation.

All have been taken to local police stations where it’s expected they will be charged.

During Mr Albert’s trial last year, the court heard the two warring groups from Sydney’s west had planned to meet at the park on the night of the alleged shooting seeking revenge over an earlier fight involving relatives, News.com.au reports.

The prosecution alleged three cars full of boys and ‘armed to the teeth’ with weapons, including cricket bats and stumps, turned up and Mr Elomar was gunned down as soon as he stepped out of the vehicle.

The court heard Mr Albert had knowledge of the identity of the gunman but did not want to reveal the person’s identity because he was not a ‘snitch’. 

Forensic officers are pictured searching the park in Miller the day after Mr Elomar was allegedly shot two years ago

Forensic officers are pictured searching the park in Miller the day after Mr Elomar was allegedly shot two years ago

The alleged gunman, who drove Mr Albert to the scene, brought a sawn-off shotgun, which was used to allegedly shoot Mr Elomar, the court heard. 

Mr Albert told the court he was unaware the alleged shooter was bringing the weapon allegedly used to kill Mr Elomar, which has never been found. 

The crown said it believed Mr Albert had lied when he told friends following the incident that he was the person who killed Mr Elomar. 

Text messages tendered in court revealed Mr Albert had sent a text to a friend after the alleged shooting, saying: ‘I think I killed the c*** delete everything I’ll call you soon.’ 

Despite accepting he had lied about being responsible, the prosecution had tried to argue Mr Elomar was in a joint criminal enterprise with the alleged gunman. 

In November 2021, Mr Albert was acquitted after Justice Ian Harrison was not satisfied beyond reasonable doubt that he foresaw the possibility of Mr Elomar’s death. 

‘The court ultimately determined that Mr Albert’s account could not be shown to be untruthful or inherently improbable and therefore may possibly be true,’ a summary of the court’s decision said. 

Forensics taped off the park and swarmed the area in a search for evidence after the alleged shooting death in February 2020

Forensics taped off the park and swarmed the area in a search for evidence after the alleged shooting death in February 2020

***
Read more at DailyMail.co.uk