Frankie Boyle’s cult BBC series New World Order has been cancelled after six seasons and the host has said he is ‘not surprised’ due to the ‘current climate.’
The comedian’s show was a discussion of the week’s news focusing on reviews, audience interaction and stand-up comedy.
A spokesperson for the BBC said: ‘We would like to thank Frankie Boyle and all those involved for six great series of New World Order, and we look forward to seeing what he does next on the BBC.’
Frankie, 50, wrote on Twitter: ‘Ah well, there’s to be no more New World Order on the BBC.
He continued: ‘Not surprising in the current climate, I suppose. Just very grateful to have had six series of working with the funniest people in the business.’
Axed: Frankie Boyle’s cult BBC series New World Order has been cancelled after six seasons and the host has said he is ‘not surprised’ due to the ‘current climate’
Saying goodbye: Frankie, 50, wrote on Twitter: ‘Ah well, there’s to be no more New World Order on the BBC’
New World Order drew to a close in December but all of the episodes in the final series are still available on iPlayer.
The show featured a number of celebrity guests and comedians including presenter Richard Osman.
People were outraged by the decision, taking to Twitter in their droves to slam the broadcaster’s choice.
One person wrote: ‘It will be missed. The end monologues were outstanding and the reactions they provoked from the other comics were an added joy.’
Another said: ‘This is very sad and disappointing. And almost definitely nothing to do with Frankie’s political leanings.’
A third person penned: ‘This was one of the sharpest political satires in the world.’
And a separate commenter added: ‘What s***y news. Now we’re totally done critiquing this government then, I see.
‘More wonderful faux impartiality nonsense from Conservative Party HQ at the BBC head office.’
Cancelled: New World Order drew to a close in December but all of the episodes in the final series are still available on iPlayer
Not happy: People were outraged by the decision, taking to Twitter in their droves to slam the broadcaster’s choice
Frankie’s comments come as the BBC is said to be in a civil war between talent and management following the firestorm over Gary Lineker’s migrant tweets.
Gary sparked mutinous chaos at the BBC earlier this month when he was asked to step back from presenting Match of the Day after backlash over a tweet comparing the Government’s migrant crackdown to Nazi Germany.
After a brief suspension, Gary returned to TV screens to present live coverage of the FA Cup quarter-final between Manchester City and Burnley on Saturday.
But with teams gathered both in person and over video link, staff are said to have not been on side with Gary.
The BBC has continued to suffer high-profile attacks from those on both sides of the debate.
Meanwhile, Channel 4 was forced to shelve a Frankie-headed show about the royals amid weeks of national mourning for Britain’s devoted head of state last year.
Frankie tweeted: ‘Let’s spare a thought for everyone who was just putting the finishing touches to a humorous documentary about the monarchy.’
Controversial: It comes after Channel 4 was forced to shelve a Frankie-headed show about the royals amid weeks of national mourning for Britain’s devoted head of state last year
And an insider has now revealed: ‘You won’t be seeing that programme for a long time, if at all.’
He also ‘joked’ about the King, who was devastated by his mother’s loss. Frankie said: ‘Charles seems emotional because he’s thinking about how much less fuss there’ll be when he dies, later in the year.
‘If he goes in the middle of the World Cup, he might not even make the news.’
Earlier last year, the public service network had commissioned the controversial comedian to make the programme, Frankie Boyle: Monarchy.
It said he ‘turns his wry eye to the state of the British monarchy and its future’, adding: ‘He wonders, ‘Will the monarchy soon be put out of its misery as it slips gently away under the soft pillow of our collective apathy?
‘Do the Royal Family have any place in the modern world?”
A Channel 4 spokesman told Richard Eden at the time: ‘We’re reviewing our schedules closely in light of events and any changes will be publicised.’
The Daily Mail revealed that Channel 4 shelved plans to screen the show according to insiders.
Frustrated: Boyle tweeted: ‘Let’s spare a thought for everyone who was just putting the finishing touches to a humorous documentary about the monarchy’
Frankie has previously made ‘jokes’ about the Queen that were so offensive a Conservative MP described them as ‘disgracefully foul’.
David Davis said: ‘Just because the Queen is the Queen, it doesn’t mean she doesn’t have feelings, and she should not be subjected to that kind of comment on a national TV programme.’
The BBC was forced to cut a line from its Comic Relief coverage in 2013 after Boyle, commenting on the Queen having been admitted to hospital, said: ‘I wished she’d died.’
In July last year, performing at Latitude Festival, he said he wished people would stop speculating about the Queen dying as ‘that’s going rob my enjoyment of the event when it happens’.