News, Culture & Society

French judge who convicted ‘arrogant, vulgar’ Geoffrey Boycott slams choice to knight him 

French judge who convicted ‘arrogant, vulgar’ Geoffrey Boycott of beating his girlfriend stands by her decision and slams choice to knight him

  • The judge who convicted Sir Geoffrey Boycott of assault has criticised his OBE
  • The former cricketer was convicted in 1998 but has always denied the charge
  • Judge Haumant has said Boycott ‘doesn’t deserve’ to be knighted by the Queen 
  • Following the conviction Boycott left the sport and began commentating on it

Judge Dominique Haumont, who sentenced Boycott in 1998 for assaulting his then partner, has criticised his knighthood

A French judge who convicted cricketer Sir Geoffrey Boycott of beating his girlfriend has said she stands by her decision – and has slammed the choice to knight him.

Dominique Haumant, who is now retired and living in Alsace, France, convicted Boycott in 1998 of beating his then girlfriend Margaret Moore in a hotel on the French Riviera on October 2, 1996. 

The former cricketer, now 78, has always denied assaulting Mrs Moore, accusing her of putting a ‘stain on my name’ and maintaining her injuries were sustained in an accidental fall.

Ms Haumant, however, who says she remembers the case ‘very well’ has now said that his conduct during the trial had been ‘arrogant’ and ‘vulgar’ and that he ‘doesn’t deserve’ his recent knighthood.

The case was brought to attention once more when former Prime Minister Theresa May earlier this week recognised her sporting hero Sir Geoffrey with a knighthood for services to sport. 

Sir Geoffrey Boycott was knighted earlier this year as part of Theresa May's resignation honours list, the former cricketer has stated he 'doesn't give a toss' about recent criticisms

Sir Geoffrey Boycott was knighted earlier this year as part of Theresa May’s resignation honours list, the former cricketer has stated he ‘doesn’t give a toss’ about recent criticisms

Speaking to The Guardian after hearing of his knighthood, Ms Haumant, who is now retired, said: ‘I remember this case very well and I remember the row about it even after 20 years. I saw all the photos, the evidence, the statements and if I didn’t think he was guilty I wouldn’t have convicted him.’

The statements come after Boycott was only recently received his knighthood on the 10th of September 2019 after being included in Theresa May’s resignation honours list.

In response to criticism of the decision to award him an OBE, Boycott, who has always denied the charge, has officially been quoted as saying he ‘doesn’t give a toss,’ rubbishing the credibility of the french justice system. 

Margaret Moore, ex-girlfriend of Sir Geoffrey Boycott, has always insisted the charges were never about money, only accepting one franc as a symbolic compensation payment

Margaret Moore, ex-girlfriend of Sir Geoffrey Boycott, has always insisted the charges were never about money, only accepting one franc as a symbolic compensation payment

Ms Haumant has called his repeated denial ‘deplorable’ adding:  ‘I cannot believe he’s being received by the Queen,’ she said. ‘I’m told she will take a sword and anoint him on each shoulder. Now that I’m really shocked at. He doesn’t deserve it.

‘As far as French justice is concerned, he has been found guilty of having beaten his partner three times.’

At the time of the sentencing in 1998, Boycott was ordered to pay a fine of £5,300 and was given a three-month suspended jail sentence. He also paid one franc in a symbolic gesture of compensation to Moore.  

A spokesperson for Sir Geoffrey Boycott declined to add any further comment. 

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.