Hashish to ashes: Funeral mourners were accidentally served cannabis cake after mix-up at German bakery – leaving 13 people needing medical treatment
- After the burial in Wiethagen, mourners went to a restaurant for cake and coffee
- Employee in charge of the dessert asked her 18-year-old daughter to bake it
- The mother took the wrong cake to the wake and 13 people were hospitalised
A funeral in eastern Germany ended on an involuntary drug high when mourners were accidentally served hash cake, police said.
Rostock police said that after the burial in Wiethagen, the funeral party went to a restaurant for coffee and cake, as is customary in Germany.
But after eating the cake, 13 people experienced nausea and dizziness and needed medical treatment.
A funeral in eastern Germany ended with 13 people needing medical treatment after a restaurant employee accidentally gave mourners her daughter’s cake made of hashish
Undated file photo of a funeral taking place. Police said that it is customary for mourners to go to a restaurant after burials in Germany
A police investigation revealed the restaurant employee in charge of the cakes had asked her 18-year-old daughter to bake them, but the mother accidentally took the wrong cake from the freezer to the funeral.
She took a hash cake the teenager had made for a different occasion.
Police said the 18-year-old is under investigation.
The incident happened in August but was not published earlier out of respect for the mourners.
This is not the first time an unsuspecting group of people have been accidentally dosed with cannabis this year.
In August, a prankster triggered a bio-hazard alert at a metal detecting convention after the treasure hunters were given chocolate cake spiked with cannabis.
This is not the first time that an unsuspecting event has been beset with cannabis dosing this year. In August, a group of metal detector aficionados were drugged when a 50-year-old man handed out his birthday cake, unaware that it had been laced with cannabis
Eighteen people burst into song, started dancing or collapsed on the marquee floor after a man handed out slices of his 50th birthday treat unaware it was laced with drugs.
Police said at least 15 metal detecting enthusiasts were taken ill at the event in the village of High Melton, near Doncaster, South Yorkshire, and 13 of those had to be taken to hospital.
NHS bosses deployed a Hazardous Area Response Team who are trained to respond to serious public health threats, including terrorism.