News, Culture & Society

Girl 4 from Aberfan south Wales caught sepsis from trying on new shoes in Cardiff

Sienna Rasul, four, (pictured with her mother Jodie Thomas) fell seriously ill the day after trying on a selection of different size shoes without any socks on at a shop in Cardiff

A four-year-old girl caught life-threatening sepsis from trying on new pair of shoes on a shopping trip. 

Sienna Rasul fell seriously ill the day after trying on a selection of different size shoes without any socks on at a shop in Cardiff. 

She was rushed to hospital in agony where doctors diagnosed sepsis from the bacteria in the shoes on display in the shop she and her mother had been to.

The little girl spent five days on a drip in hospital with her mother Jodie Thomas, 26, keeping a bedside vigil.

Hotel worker Ms Thomas said: ‘I was really shocked when the doctors said it was from trying on new shoes.

‘I’ve been worried sick, they’ve had to drain all the poison from her leg.’ 

She continued: ‘Normally she would have socks on but it’s summer time so she was wearing sandals.

‘The shoes she liked had been tried on by other little girls and that’s how Sienna picked up the infection.’ 

Mother-of-three Ms Thomas took Sienna to the doctors when she started crying in agony the day after the shopping trip.

Sienna was rushed to hospital in agony where doctors diagnosed sepsis (infection pictured) from the bacteria in the shoes on display in the shop she and her mother had been to

Sienna was rushed to hospital in agony where doctors diagnosed sepsis (infection pictured) from the bacteria in the shoes on display in the shop she and her mother had been to

The doctor spotted the infection and used a pen to draw a line around where the infection had spread.

Ms Thomas, of Aberfan, South Wales, said: ‘By the next day it had spread up her leg and her temperature was raging.

‘I drove her straight in to hospital, she was shaking and twitching – it was horrible to see my little girl like that.

‘They said it was sepsis and thought they would have to operate.

‘But the doctors have managed to drain all the pus from her leg and say the anti-biotic drip will do the job.’

Sienna, has now been allowed home from the children’s ward at Prince Charles Hospital in Merthyr Tydfil but she is still being monitored.

Ms Thomas has urged parents to make sure their children have socks on when they are trying on shoes.

Her mother Jodie Thomas (pictured) has urged parents to make sure their children have socks on when they are trying on shoes

Her mother Jodie Thomas (pictured) has urged parents to make sure their children have socks on when they are trying on shoes

She said: ‘I knew you risk getting things like athlete’s foot from trying on shoes but blood poisoning is far more serious.

‘You don’t know whose feet have been in the shoes before you.

‘Sienna has been really ill, the infection was moving up her leg and spreading to the rest of her body. I’m so glad I got her to the hospital quickly.

‘With mums and dads doing back-to-school shopping I would advise them to take a spare pair of socks with them.’

Dr Ron Daniels, Chief executive of the UK Sepsis Trust said: ‘This frightening case shows us that sepsis strikes indiscriminately and can affect anyone at any time.’

Dr Daniels, one of the world’s leading experts on the killer illness, said it was likely Sienna already had a ‘breach’ in her skin, either a graze or a bite.

He added: ‘Whenever there are signs of infection, it’s crucial that members of the public seek medical attention urgently and just ask: ‘Could it be sepsis?’

‘Better awareness could save thousands of lives every year.’

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.