Girlfriend, 26, of Cleveland Browns defensive end Chris Smith is struck and killed on highway median after they pulled over to fix a tire on his Lamborghini – just a month after giving birth to a baby
- Petara Cordero, 26, was fatally struck by an oncoming vehicle after exiting Smith’s Lamborghini on I-90 West in Cleveland
- Couple had pulled over after Smith suffered a tire malfunction at around 2am
- Smith’s Lamborghini spun before hitting a median in the highway near the West 140th Street exit
- Cordero was struck after she had gotten out of the vehicle by a 47-year-old driver
- Charges have not been filed against the woman as toxicology reports are pending
- The couple recently celebrated the birth of their daughter, Haven Harris Smith, on August 27
- Browns players were notified of Cordero’s death during a team meeting on Wednesday and counselors will be on site to help staff and players in need
The girlfriend of Cleveland Browns defensive end Chris Smith died in a tragic car accident on Wednesday morning, just a month after giving birth to the couple’s daughter.
Petara Cordero, 26, was killed by an oncoming car on the I-90 West in Cleveland in the early hours of Wednesday morning.
Cordero and Smith, 27, had been driving when the NFL star’s Lamborghini had a tire malfunction which sent the car spinning out of control and into the median ear the West 140th Street exit.
Cordero had stepped out of the car, at the median, without suffering serious injuries, when she was hit by a Mazda coming from the opposite direction.
Cops say the driver was a 47-year-old woman who admitted she had been drinking before she crashed into Cordero.
Cordero was taken to Cleveland Clinic Fairview Hospital where she was pronounced dead.
Petara Cordero, 26, was fatally struck by an oncoming vehicle after exiting Smith’s Lamborghini on I-90 West in Cleveland
‘Words cannot describe the sorrow we feel for Chris following the loss of his girlfriend, Petara,’ said Cleveland Brown owners Dee and Jimmy Haslam in a statement.
‘Our entire organization mourns with Chris, his family and the Cordero family. We will do everything possible to offer them our support, comfort and any resources in this most difficult time.’
The female driver admitted to authorities that she had been drinking, News 5 Cleveland reports.
Cordero and Smith recently celebrated the birth of their daughter, Haven Harris Smith, on August 27
Charges have not been filed as toxicology reports are currently pending.
Cordero and Smith recently celebrated the birth of their daughter, Haven Harris Smith.
‘I’m so thankful to have another beautiful gift in this world my daughter Haven Harris Smith,’ the defensive end said in an August 27 Instagram post. ‘You are such a blessing to me and your mother!! Love you Petara and Baby Have.’
Browns players were notified of Cordero’s death during a team meeting on Wednesday morning and counselors will be on site to help staff and players in need, WJW reports.
‘Smith will receive the full team’s support of resources and will have the opportunity to grieve as he sees best fit, including being excused from or participating in any team activities, if desired,’ a representative from the Browns said.