News, Culture & Society

Goanna nearly mauls young NSW boy to death

  • Jimmy Hawkins was on camping trip in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
  • He was bitten on the toe by a goanna as he was playing on the beach
  • Jimmy suffered a damaged tendon and lacerations to his toes

A young boy was left with severe injuries after a goanna bit his foot and dragged him along the ground.

Jimmy Hawkins, seven, and two of his friends were on a camping trip with their fathers at The Basin campground in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park, 9 News reported.

The children came across the goanna on the beach, about 30 metres away from the campsite. The lizard had been spotted in the area earlier in the day.

A young boy was left with severe injuries after a goanna bit his foot and dragged him along the ground

Jimmy was bitten on the foot and suffered a damaged tendon and lacerations to his toes

Jimmy was bitten on the foot and suffered a damaged tendon and lacerations to his toes

The lizard had been spotted in the area earlier in the day

The lizard had been spotted in the area earlier in the day

‘It was a bit bigger than three feet,’ Mr Hawkins said.

‘Jimmy went up from the beach towards the group and got a little bit too close.’

Jimmy was bitten on the foot and suffered a damaged tendon and lacerations to his toes.

‘It was trying to drag me… It was really scary,’ Jimmy said.

Mr Hawkins said another man had to kick the goanna away.

The children came across the goanna on the beach, about 30 metres away from the campsite (pictured) 

The children came across the goanna on the beach, about 30 metres away from the campsite (pictured) 

‘It wouldn’t let go and you could tell Jimmy was trying to get away. He was really scared by it all,’ he said.

A police boat took Jimmy to Palm Beach Wharf. From there he was transported to Mona Vale Hospital and underwent surgery the following day.

Thankfully he was left with no permanent damage and is back to ‘kicking the footy.’

He was released from hospital after two days with a few stitches. 

 



Read more at DailyMail.co.uk