A grandmother has told of her grief after her daughter, 38, died alongside her husband and two children after a suspected gas leak at their Mexican vacation home.
Kevin and Amy Sharp, ages 41 and 38, and their two kids, 12-year-old Sterling and seven-year-old Adrianna, were found dead by police in the resort town of Tulum on Friday, a day after a friend reported them missing.
Amy’s mother Beth Fry fought back tears as she told reporters outsider her home in Creston, Iowa, home: ‘Life is not going to be the same without her… half my family is gone’.
The Sharp family from left to right in an undated image: Daughter Adrianna, seven; son Sterling, 12; dad Kevin, 41; and Mom Amy
After regaining her composure she added to the Des Moines Register: ‘We’re determined. We have love and support and family and friends and we will get through this. One way or another, we will.’
Amy’s mother Beth Fry fought back tears as she told reporters outsider her home in Creston, Iowa, home: ‘Life is not going to be the same without her… half my family is gone’. She is pictured in an undated image
The Sharp family were scheduled to fly back to their home in Creston on March 21, in order to attend a basketball game the following day.
Friends grew worried when they failed to show up to the game and wouldn’t answer their messages and calls.
The US Embassy was called, who in turn asked Mexican authorities to investigate the matter.
Provincial police in Quintana Roo broke into the family’s condo in the Bahia Principe tourist complex and found all four members of the family dead, and their bodies in a state of decomposition.
The two kids were found in the living room while the parents were found in a bedroom, according to the Yucatan Times.
The Sharp family were scheduled to fly back to their home in Creston on March 21, in order to attend a basketball game the following day
A friend of the family’s wrote on Facebook on Friday that no foul play was suspected in their deaths
Local authorities won’t say what killed the family, but say there was no signs of violence and foul play isn’t suspected.
Mark Williams, a law enforcement official back in Iowa, told Omaha.com that Mexican officials suspect the family may have died from a gas leak.
Friends reported the family missing on Thursday when they failed to show up to a basketball game. They were scheduled to return to the U.S. On March 21 (pictured in 2016)
Ashli Peterson, the friend who originally posted the worried Facebook message about the family, updated followers about their death on Friday.
‘The Sharps have been located. They were found last night in their condo deceased. There was no foul play! At this time that is all the information we have.
‘Please respect the family at this time as they go through the grieving process. Thank you for all the posts, shares, and kind words,’ Peterson said.
The family were staying in a condo in the large Bahia Principe tourist complex (seen above). Mexican official allegedly suspect carbon monoxide poisoning in their deaths