The grieving parents of a young Australian nanny stabbed to death in London Bridge two years ago are heartbroken and angry after another terrorist has claimed more lives in the same spot.
Queenslander Sara Zelenak, 21, was one of eight people and two Australian women killed in the London Bridge terror attack in June 2017.
Her mother and stepfather Julie and Mark Wallace believe the UK authorities haven’t learned from Sara’s death after convicted terrorist Usman Khan murdered Brits Jack Merritt, 25, and Saskia Jones, 23, on London Bridge last Friday.
The couple have slammed authorities for not monitoring Khan more closely.
He had been on parole for less than a year after serving time behind bars for his involvement in an Al-Qaeda inspired plot to blow up the London Stock Exchange in 2012.
Nanny Sara Zelenak (pictured) had only been in London for several months when she was stabbed to death in the 2017 London Bridge terror attack which killed eight and injured 48
Mrs Wallace is angry no changes have been made since a Coroner recommended ‘massive changes’ at the recent 10 week inquest into the 2017 attack which claimed Sara’s life.
‘What are they achieved if they don’t make any change?’ a frustrated Ms Wallace told Channel Seven’s Sunrise on Monday.
‘They let him out earlier and he does it again in the same place, We are all unsafe. We have got massive holes in our heart that can never be healed.’
She believes more innocent lives will be lost in London unless the system is overhauled.
Sara’s mother and stepfather Julie and Mark Wallace were devastated to hear about another deadly terror attack on London Bridge, where Sara was killed two years ago
‘Obviously, they’re under-resourced, there’s not enough police in London to protect them,’ Ms Wallace said.
‘That means everyone of us who travels, or even at home, is unsafe. We have to up it because it’s so unfair.’
‘It has to stop. They have to make changes.’
The couple had just returned from an international conference in Europe, where they met other terror victims and their families when they heard the news of the latest deadly attack on London Bridge within 24 hours.
‘Immediately, it brings back those horrific memories of when Sara was murdered murdered two-and-a-half years ago,’ Mr Wallace recalled.
‘It pushed Jules and I into a spiral of depression, we sat around all day reflecting.’
His wife added: ‘The thing that hurts me so much is to endure over 10 weeks at the inquest in June.’
Sara Zelenak, 21, was one of eight people and two Australian women killed in the 2017 attack
They have been inundated calls and messages from the first responders who tried to revive Sara since the latest attack on Friday.
‘They called us straight away, asking if we were okay,’ Ms Wallace said.
‘They were on duty that night in the same place. People from Borough Market restaurants, they had the same staff as well. They are all reliving the event.’
The inquest into the 2017 attack earlier this year heard how Ms Zelenak had suffered multiple stab wounds during the attack but the fatal blow was to her neck, which severed her spinal cord.
Before leaving for UK in March 2017, Ms Zelenak worked with her stepfather as a crane truck operator in Brisbane to save up for her trip.
Sara worked for her stepfather Mark (pictured) to save for her working holiday in the UK
Sara’s family have set up a charity in her honour to help others dealing with trauma and grief
On June 3 2017, a van with three terrorists inside crashed into pedestrians on London Bridge, before they jumped out of the vehicle and began stabbing people.
Ms Zelenak had been enjoying dinner with friends in nearby Borough market at the time.
She tried to flee the attackers but stumbled when her heel got caught in the footpath.
Ms Zelenak had only been in London for a few months where she was working as a nanny.
She had plans to reunite with her mother and stepfather in Paris just weeks after her life was cut short.
‘I said “Sara’s dead?”, I couldn’t breathe, I couldn’t do anything. I couldn’t take the seat belt off. I just went into shock,’ Mrs Wallace told ABC’s Australian Story last year.
Her husband added: ‘As soon as Jules stood up and started crying then she didn’t have to say anything. I knew. We were both just bawling our eyes out. We couldn’t believe it.
The couple have set up Sarz Sanctuary, a charity to help families suffering from traumatic grief as a result of a sudden or violent death of a loved one.
‘This is our absolute purpose in life now,’ Ms Wallace told Sunrise.
Mark and Julie Wallace (pictured) attended the 10 week inquest into the 2017 London bridge attack in June this year