The launch of web speech API in Chrome, as well as Firefox, had resulted in some very engaging opportunities in the ways by which people can interact with the websites and how they can be accessed. There are two different components of web speed API which include speech recognition and voice synthesis.
How to add voice search to Magento 1 and 2
In this post, you are going to find different steps that you must follow for implementing the primary voice search option in the platform of Magento 1 header search. Before starting you must know the commands mentioned below as follows. Here you can also get an idea of the way to start recording the different voice messages to check the results. At this point, the major focus should be on the steps that must be taken for achieving this other than focusing on just the code. Although, there are different codes for each step in the process of how to add voice search to Magento 1 and 2 no coding.
At first, you are supposed to create a module directory in app>code>local>ElectricBot as well as create a directory in voice search.
Then, under the category of app>design >frontend >base >default, you must develop a layout along with the template files.
Layout > voice_search xml
Then you have to create some fields of configuration in the area of admin for allowing the administrator to choose if they want to continue enabling this functionality or not in their store. Based on the status of the module that the admin has decided to choose, it can be controlled in the form of a template whenever the icon of voice search shows.
How does it work?
How these options works are as follows:
- Select the mic icon which appears in the field of header search.
- Speak for searching the keyword and allowing access to use the mic
- Choose to enter fir starting and wait to get redirected to the page of results.
What is the need for speech recognition?
Following the web accessibility Initiative, the new features can help:
- People who have any kind of physical disability who are unable to use the mouse or keyboard
- People who have chronic conditions because of which they are supposed to make limited use of a mouse or keyboard.
- People who have learning or cognitive disabilities must make use of voice search more than the rest options.
- People who have any temporary concern like a broken arm.
Also, it can help people who are more willing to use voice commands on any device than entering the search input. If you have finished the configuration with all the steps mentioned above it must look ideally like the default theme. The developers of this application can bring you many more ways by which you can implement the voice search feature in Magento 1 as well as 2. You can find a lot more information about adding search to Magento 1 and 2 using the Expertrec plugin.