REVEALED: Why Aussie boxer Harry Garside could still be denied a place at the Paris Olympics despite seeing domestic assault case thrown out as new legal issue emerges
- Harry Garside’s Olympics dream is in jeopardy again
- The boxer was cleared of a domestic assault charge this week
- But a legal issue with his former manager has caused problems
Harry Garside’s hopes of heading to the Olympics have hit another stumbling block, according to reports.
Garside, 25, was cleared of a domestic assault charge against ex-girlfriend Ash Ruscoe this week after his legal team produced video evidence they said showed Ruscoe was the alleged aggressor during an incident on March 1.
Garside was arrested by NSW Police in dramatic scenes at Sydney Airport as he returned home with his father after shooting the reality TV show I’m A Celebrity…Get Me Out Of Here! in South Africa.
The legal case had posed a threat to Garside’s potential place in Australia’s boxing squad for the 2024 Games in Paris, and the latest development had presented a major boost for the 25-year-old who won bronze in Tokyo.
But now, the Daily Telegraph reports that a breach of contract claim by his former manager could see Garside miss out on the Olympics.
Harry Garside’s Olympics dream is in jeopardy amid an ongoing legal battle
Garside, 25, saw charges against him dropped this week relating to an alleged domestic violence incident involving ex-girlfriend Ash Ruscoe (left)
Peter Mintrevski Jnr has hired Adam Houda to launch legal action. The star’s former manager had previously seen a settlement offer reportedly worth $50,000 rejected by Garside.
The boxer signed a three-year management deal with Mitrevski to turn professional after the Tokyo Games, but they parted ways after just six months, in which he fought three times.
Mitrevski claims he paid the fighter a sign-on fee, provided a car and put him in a position where he earned commentary opportunities on Fox Sports before going on I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here.
The president of Boxing Australia, Phil Goodes, confirmed that Garside needs to get clearance to fight at the Olympic qualifiers.
‘I understand there is a contractual agreement in place between Harry and his manager and promoter that he needs to comply with,’ Goodes told News Corp.
‘Our CEO has sent him a letter to that effect.
‘Harry needs to provide evidence that his issues have been resolved.
‘We haven’t disqualified anyone at this point but we’ve requested it be cleared up prior to any amateur competition.
And now he faces a potential breach of contract issue with former manager Peter Mintrevski Jr
‘I would expect Harry and his team to negotiate with his promoter and his manager before the Olympic qualifiers to get the right outcome.
‘Boxing Australia wants to move forward and focus on the Olympics.’
A spokesman for Garside said: ‘Harry’s aspiration to qualify for Paris 2024 is no secret and he has been absolutely overwhelmed by the enthusiasm and support he has received.
‘In practical terms, he needs to retire from professional boxing to focus on qualification. He hopes to be able to wrap up talks with Mr Mitrevski as soon as possible and is grateful for his understanding of his position thus far.’