News, Culture & Society

Hoverboard explodes setting Californian man’s house ablaze

A man has been left devastated after his hoverboard caught fire and burned down his Californian mansion – while his blind dad and pregnant wife were inside.

Cole Moscatel said his multi-million dollar home in Redlands has been ‘totally ruined’ by the fire and expects repairs to take at least a year.

The 20-year-old, who works in real estate, also said he ‘could have died’ in the shocking blaze that wrecked ‘all’ his belongings – including ‘things you can’t replace’ – and left his family with ‘severe injuries’ from smoke inhalation.

Mr Moscatel told MailOnline there was a rush to get his wife Kelsea, 24 and dad Harry, 79 out of the home. 

 

Cole's 79-year-old father Harry

Cole Moscatel (pictured left with pregnant wife Kelsea) said his multi-million dollar home in Redlands has been ‘totally ruined’ by the fire and expects repairs to take at least a year. Pictured right: Cole’s 79-year-old father Harry

Wrecked: Cole Moscatel's mansion in Redlands, California after the devastating blaze

He said the fire department told him the cause was his hoverboard, which had been plugged in to charge

Wrecked: Cole Moscatel’s mansion in Redlands, California after the devastating blaze. He said the fire department told him the cause was his hoverboard, which had been plugged in to charge

‘The fire destroyed the interior of the house, the theater room, down the hall from the theater room caught on fire, as well as the gym.

‘The rest of the house is totally ruined by the smoke. All my clothes, my wife’s possessions and my dad’s have gone.’

He added: ‘We lived at the house for seven years and it cost millions of dollars. 

‘I am devastated by what has happened – all my items, both sentimental and of value, have gone and there are certain things you can’t replace. We could have died.’

Mr Moscatel told MailOnline: 'The fire destroyed the interior of the house, the theater room, down the hall from the theater room caught on fire, as well as the gym.' Pictured: The fire from outside, which was caught on video

A destroyed corridor

Mr Moscatel told MailOnline: ‘The fire destroyed the interior of the house, the theater room, down the hall from the theater room caught on fire, as well as the gym.’ Pictured left: The fire from outside, which was caught on video. Right: A destroyed corridor 

Mr Moscatel said the fire department told him the hoverboard – which he got for Christmas last year – was responsible for the August 13 blaze. 

He said he had plugged it in because he was planning on taking it to the beach for what would have been only the fourth or fifth time he’d used it.

‘We are having to stay in a resort at Newport Beach as we can’t be in the house,’ he said.

Some of the damage to Cole's home in Redlands, California

Some of the damage to Cole's home in Redlands, California

Cole said: ‘The fire destroyed the interior of the house, the theater room, down the hall from the theater room caught on fire, as well as the gym’ 

‘We had an expectation to use the hoverboard for recreation purposes and then all this goes down.’

Now his pregnant wife has been left feeling ‘very sad’ because of the fire – particularly as she was planning to build a baby room for the couple’s coming child.

Mr Moscatel said: ‘It’s the last thing she needed.’

He also said that when he warned his neighbors’ children about the fire after seeing them play on hoverboards, they told him ‘it’s crazy because when they plugged them in they sparked.’

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk