News, Culture & Society

How Covid-19 is on track to ruin a beloved Aussie Olympic tradition

How Covid is on track to ruin a beloved Australian Olympic tradition: Lockdowns and tough restrictions shoot down parades for Tokyo heroes

  • The parades see thousands flock to welcome home our athletes after the games
  • With current state lockdowns and border restrictions, the events are in doubt
  • The Australian team will also have to quarantine for two weeks upon return
  • Lord Mayor of Melbourne hopes to stage event in the state for the community

A beloved Australian Olympic tradition welcoming conquering athletes home is in doubt as Covid outbreaks cancel events across Australia.

The homecoming parade usually see thousands of proud Australians flock to celebrations to praise Olympic champions.

The parades were staged in Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Canberra, Adelaide, Perth, Hobart and Darwin after the last Olympics in 2016.

Olympic homecoming parades usually see thousands of proud Australians flock to celebrations to praise Olympic champions 

The Australian athletes will have to complete a two week quarantine upon returning home from the games leaving the potential of the ceremonies further in doubt

The Australian athletes will have to complete a two week quarantine upon returning home from the games leaving the potential of the ceremonies further in doubt

But with state border restrictions, rising Covid cases and lockdown extension in NSW and Queensland, the homecoming parades are up in the air.

Athletes competing in Tokyo will also have to do two weeks of hotel quarantine when they return, putting hopes of celebrations further in doubt.  

Australian Olympic Committee spokesman Strath Gordon told The Herald Sun there was ‘a volatile environment back home and the team coming back is still subject to ongoing discussions with federal and state governments’.  

Lord Mayor of Melbourne Sally Capp remains hopeful that the event could still take place in its CBD to bring joy to the community in times of uncertainty as a way to re-open Victoria after emerging from lockdown last week

Lord Mayor of Melbourne Sally Capp remains hopeful that the event could still take place in its CBD to bring joy to the community in times of uncertainty as a way to re-open Victoria after emerging from lockdown last week

Lord Mayor of Melbourne Sally Capp was hopeful the event could still take place in Victoria in a Covid-safe manner as the Olympics provided inspiration for many people back home watching in times of uncertainty. 

Victoria emerged from lockdown last Wednesday and only recorded two cases of Covid on Monday morning, both in quarantine during their infectious period. 

‘We will need to watch the Covid situation but we do want to hold an event that recognises the achievements of our local athletes after the Games.’, Ms Capp said.

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk