The gambling sphere doesn’t stand still and is actively developing. Software providers add advanced features and near-real elements to their games. Such improvements and a regular release of new themed titles contribute to the popularity of online casino entertainment. The undisputed leaders in this sector are Microgaming and NetEnt. But, many gamblers want to know who is winning this virtual race.
Today, we`ll give you an answer. But first, let’s look at the history and achievements of both developers.
Microgaming: A groundbreaker in the world of slot machines
Microgaming is a role model when it comes to the production of game content. This company was founded in 1994 on the Isle of Man and was the first to bring gambling to a new level. How so? It was the first to introduce a virtual casino to gamblers. Besides in 1996, it joined the independent organization that controls the honesty of online gambling, the IGC. Thus, any time you conduct a Microgaming casino review, check whether the site is approved by the IGC or not. Since 2004, the developer has been producing virtual slot machines for mobile devices, and again was among the pioneers. Microgaming possesses numerous awards, which is yet another indicator of the quality of its services.
The company is famous for slot machines in the first place. Its titles are off-beat and not similar to each other (even taking into account similar features of the interface). Therefore, the number of Microgaming’s fans is only growing by the day.
The most popular Microgaming slots
To attract a wide audience, the developer has created a huge assortment of online gambling machines to any liking. Given the number of gambling institutions powered Microgaming (100+), many titles have already become the users’ favorites. Namely, these are:
- Mega Moolah is an Egyptian-style game with a progressive jackpot. This slot is a favorite one among luck seekers;
- Battlestar Galactica is a branded game centered around the war against aliens. This is a five-reel slot with a non-standard bonus game;
- Great Czar — as the name suggests, the plot is based on the history of the Russian Empire;
- Tomb Raider is another branded slot, which is full of adventures. It tells the story of Lara Croft, a young intelligent archaeologist;
- Legend of Olympus is a high-RTP (95.47%) slot game that borrows the theme of Greek mythology. 3D animations used in the game capture your attention and hold it until the last second;
- Playboy is a slot built under cooperation with the same-name brand. As one might expect, it combines excitement and sexuality.
This is a tiny list of Microgaming’s most popular slot machines. Moreover, the company’s early creations are regularly updated and thus, remain relevant to this day too.
Advantages of Microgaming products
So, it’s worth noting the main advantages of the company’s games:
- A huge number of slot titles;
- A wide array of themes;
- High-quality video elements and design;
- Production-original soundtracks;
- Most games come in over 45 languages;
- Support more than 25 currencies;
- Free game versions with virtual money;
- New slot machines are released every month;
- Industry’s highest progressive jackpots.
This developer may well boast the largest choice of slots in the gambling sphere, so it is difficult for other providers to win the race for the championship. But there is one company that challenges Microgaming a lot — NetEnt.
NetEnt: On the edge of innovations
NetEnt is a Swedish development company that has won the love of gamblers thanks to unusual gameplay and graphics of its slot machines. NetEnt is an innovator. It was among the first to release a VR slot. So, it’s worth noting that NetEnt strives to offer feature-rich video slots that are developed using advanced tech. It’s safe to say that NetEnt games are of the top quality. It is proven by high user-generated rating, lucrative payouts, engaging storylines, etc. The most popular slots of this brand are Gonzo’s Quest and Gonzo’s Quest VR, Blood Suckers, Victorious, Starburst, and Aliens.
We also want to note that its Mega Fortune video slot has been added to the Guinness Records book because of the lump-sum jackpot paid to a lucky casino player — a fantastic €17.8 million. However, as you will see below, this payout is lower than that of a Microgaming’s slot.
Benefits of NetEnt games
Regular customers of online gambling venues praise the technical and functional characteristics of NetEnt games, highlighting a number of advantages that deserve special mention:
- All games are available in two modes — free (demo) and paid (real money game);
- Colorful design, advanced graphics, and entertaining game plots;
- The high return of slot machines when gambling real bets;
- Simple and intuitive gaming interface;
- Multiple prize combinations and growing jackpots;
- High reliability and stability of operation;
- The regular release of new games.
Why Microgaming leads the race
And now, let’s get closer to the facts and discuss why Microgaming is winning the leadership race.
- NetEnt has 200 exciting games, while Microgaming has over 850 unique titles and 1200 variations of them;
- It was Microgaming who pioneered the Internet casino software market (1994), and a decade later — the mobile casino market (2004);
- Microgaming is the first in the gambling industry to create a slot machine with a progressive jackpot (Cash Splash, 1998);
- In 2003, Microgaming launched the biggest online poker network, with mobile poker options and anonymous tables;
- It is a founding father of eCOGRA, the first independent regulator of online gambling;
- Microgaming’s Mega Moolah slot machine awarded a progressive jackpot of €18.9 million in 2018. It is the second Guinness Record of this slot. As we mentioned before, NetEnt’s Mega Fortune recorded a €17.8 million payout.
As you can see, Microgaming is fairly considered the best and largest developer of virtual casino games. It is a truly legendary company operating in the gambling industry. It was not only the first to develop online casino software but also the first to introduce it to the market. Today, it’s a huge space, where competition is growing every year. These efforts have brought Microgaming recognition and success in the gambling world. Of course, gamblers can choose the enticing titles among a wide variety of NetEnt games. But the leading positions are still occupied by the games developed by Microgaming.