Live roaches, rodent droppings, insects, mold, food debris and a food preparer who didn’t wash their hands: how Donald Trump’s Doral resort where he denies bed bugs has a history of hygiene problems
- Trump tweeted there were ‘no bedbugs at Doral,’ despite a settlement with a guest who sued claiming his room was infested
- Trump promoted his course Monday as a possible site for the G7 summit
- He touted its abundant parking and proximity to an airport, plus bungalows
- However its kitchen and restaurant have received numerous health code violations of the year
- Ranged from mice to cockroaches and other insects, improper food temperatures, and improper storage of squid and beef
- ‘Live, small flying insects’ found in kitchen in 2015
President Donald Trump tweeted that there are ‘no bedbugs at Doral’ – but his luxury Florida club has racked up numerous other health code violations.
Violations have ranged from staff who failed to wash their hands or change protective gloves properly, to rodent droppings, insects, dirty dishes, and other violations.
Such citations are fairly common in the restaurant industry, but in the case of Trump’s club, which he gushed about on international TV Monday, some were cited multiple times.
After Trump touted the club, internet sleuths promptly dug up a 2016 lawsuit filed by a New Jersey insurance executive who claimed bedbugs at a Trump Doral villa left him with bites and welts in March 2016.
Inspectors reported numerous health and safety infractions at President Trump’s Doral golf club over a period of years, although the president insists there are no bedbugs there
‘No bedbugs at Doral,’ the president insisted on Tuesday. The suit was settled confidentially.
However, inspectors found ‘live, small flying insects’ found in the club’s kitchen in 2015, according to the Washington Post, which dug up records documenting the violations.
Near where food was being prepared, the inspectors found ’20-25 live roaches on the walls, baseboards and floors.’
Also that year, an $800 fine was ordered and callback scheduled, after a state inspector found displayed food was ‘not properly protected from contamination’ and displayed foods set up for breakfast were ‘not covered or have sneeze guards for protection.’
President Trump tweeted there were ‘no bedbugs’ at Doral
Trump touted Doral as the likely site of the next G7 summit while speaking at this year’s summit in France Monday
Trump’s resort was cited for numerous violations
There were even violations in the bungalows touted by the president
The club’s buffet and salad bar were cited for lacking sneeze-guards
Flies were spotted near a coffee station
Citations included mold, insect droppings, hand-washing issues, and flies
That applied to the salad bar and the buffet.
A year later, in 2016, an inspector found about 40 flies near a coffee station.
The restaurant lacked a sign common to oyster shacks and seafood restaurants warning of the risks of ‘raw or undercooked’ seafood. The problem was ‘Corrected On-Site**’
It also lacked a hand-washing sign at a sink used by employees. In a ‘repeat violation’ a cutting board had ‘has cut marks and is no longer cleanable.’ In another high-priority issue, ‘foods in walk-in cooler cold [were] held at greater than 41 degrees Fahrenheit.’ The operator transferred the food.
The following year brought complaints about food safety issues, including proper temperatures.
Some infractions evoke the kind of government regulation Trump regular inveighs against. The same bungalows Trump touted as fit for world leader at the next G7 also were found to have raw meat and raw squid co-mingling in the freezer – ‘not properly separated from one another.
It was one of a pair of ‘high priority’ violations.
According to the state inspector’s notation: ‘Raw animal foods not properly separated from one another based upon minimum required cooking temperature in reach-in cooler. Raw burgers/raw squids. Operator separated it **Corrected On-Site**’
The club’s sports bar, Champions Bar & Grill, also was cited over hand-washing and other issues. Inspectors spotted cockroaches behind a dishwasher.