News, Culture & Society

How To Get A Divorce Without A Lawyer?

The divorce process can be a timely and costly experience, but there are things that you can do to reduce the cost of divorce and make the process quick and easy.

This article will guide you through the steps to getting a divorce in the state of Wyoming and will highlight how to make it more affordable by removing the need for a lawyer.

Divorce Requirements

To apply for divorce in Wyoming, you need to meet the state’s requirements. These include the following:

  • Having resided in the state for at least 60 days (if you lived in the state but moved, you must return and have lived in the state for at least 60 days).
  • Filing for divorce in the county where either you or your spouse resides.
  • Your children must have resided in the state for at least 6 months (without this requirement or the factor of an emergency, the court will not have the capacity to make decisions regarding child custody).
  • A minimum waiting period of 20 days to get your divorce after having filed your divorce papers.

Grounds for Divorce

The state of Wyoming recognizes “no-fault” based divorces, meaning that you are not obligated to state why you want a divorce.

All you need to state in this case is that “irreconcilable differences” exist between yourself and your spouse, and reconciliation is not possible.

However, if you feel the need to state the reasons that lead you to your decision, the state accepts the following grounds for divorce:

  • Infidelity
  • Abuse of any kind (e.g., physical, verbal, mental).
  • Substance abuse (e.g., alcohol, drugs).
  • Lack of support (e.g., financial).
  • Incompatibility (e.g., one spouse wishes to move or travel while the other does not).

Filing for Divorce

If you have met the requirements and grounds for divorce as mentioned above, you may proceed with the process by filing the needed documents.

Depending on your type of divorce, you will need to file some (or all) of the following forms:

  • Vital Statistics Form
  • Complaint about Divorce
  • Acknowledgment and Acceptance of Service
  • Affidavit to Allow Service by Registered or Certified Mail
  • Notice of Publication
  • Answer to the Complaint for Divorce
  • Affidavit for Divorce Without Appearance of the Parties
  • Decree of Divorce
  • Application for Entry of Default
  • Affidavit of Plaintiff in Support of Default
  • Affidavit of Defendant in Support of Default
  • Confidential Financial Affidavit
  • Income Withholding Order
  • Notice to Payor
  • Certificate of Mailing Decree of Divorce

After completing all the necessary paperwork, promptly submit them (including the Summons) to the court clerk so that it may be stamped with the date on which it is being filed.

Make 2 copies of all the documents so that you may receive copies once they have all been stamped.

The court will charge a fee at the time of filing. You may request a fee waiver if you are unable to pay the filing fees.

Service of process

After the divorce papers have been composed and filed, notify your spouse by either personally delivering the documents, allowing the sheriff to deliver them on your behalf, or using another option of service set by the court clerk if your spouse doesn’t live in the state or you can’t locate him/her.

Note: if you apply for divorce, you are the petitioner. Your spouse to whom you send the divorce papers so that he/she can make a reply is the respondent.

Contested or Uncontested

The divorce is contested when, upon notifying your spouse, he/she disagrees and files a counter-complaint. Issues are addressed in the courtroom and often require the assistance of attorneys and lawyers, so this is a long and costly route to follow.

The divorce is uncontested when both parties are in agreement with the terms of the divorce and wish to proceed promptly. Although this is the quicker and more inexpensive route, all matters must be settled, such as child custody, property division, and spousal support.


Once all the above steps have been completed, the judge will sign the Divorce Decree and officialize the dissolution of marriage.

Note: a hearing may or may not be scheduled to assess the divorce terms and settlements.


DIY divorce

If you and your spouse don’t have any disagreements and therefore don’t need the assistance of a lawyer, why pay the extra when you can just do it yourself?

If you wish to handle things on your own, simply download the correct forms found under the self-help section on the Wyoming Supreme Court website. Be sure to choose the correct packet appropriate for your situation.

Online Divorce

Although DIY divorce can save you money, it can be tricky if you aren’t aware of legal matters surrounding the divorce process. Your solution to this may be internet divorce.

There are divorce companies that allow you to submit an application for divorce online. Simply answer their questionnaire, and they will fill in and handle all other necessary documents.

Their services are fast and can have your paperwork finished within a few hours or days.

Web divorce services also provide assistance and direction as to what steps you should next take and how to file your divorce papers with the court.

One highly recommended service to complete divorce online is It asks for as little as $139 with no extra or hidden fees.

Extra Information

Wyoming differs from other states in regard to property division and alimony. There are not many guidelines for Wyoming divorce and alimony law, so after considering the unique circumstances of each marriage as well as the credibility of each spouse and the children’s best interests, the judge will ultimately decide the best solution.

Key takeaways

If a couple disagrees on the terms, their divorce becomes contested, and they will need to involve an attorney and/or lawyer who can address the issues and help them reach an agreement.

However, if a couple is in agreement, their divorce becomes uncontested. They can further reduce the time, effort, and cost of filing for divorce by proceeding with a DIY divorce or divorce over the internet. Both methods can be accomplished without an attorney or lawyer.