Are you fond of driving on the open road and are looking for a career that’ll allow you to do just that? Well, driving a lorry might be the perfect opportunity for you! A lorry is a motor vehicle that is used to transport cargo and goods from one place to another. If you’re trying to find how to become lorry driver in the UK, keep reading for the best tips and suggestions.
You should first learn about everything that you will be required to do before you settle on this line of work. Learning about what you’ll be expected to do will help you avoid any confusion and surprises later on. The following are some things you will need to do:
- There will be a lot of paperwork related to the cargo you’ll be transporting that you will need to manage and keep up to date with.
- To get the required time for rest, you’ll have to monitor the hours that you work.
- You’ll also have to learn about the different roads and routes so you can avoid the damaged ones that might cause delays.
- You might come across other unexpected problems that you should know how to combat. These can include roadblocks and bad weather.
- You will have to keep an eye out for any technical problems in your vehicle so it remains worthy to be driven.
- If your job includes traveling abroad, you will have to make sure you have the correct license, have filled the paperwork, and have in-depth knowledge about the laws on the road.
To get a job as a lorry driver, you first need to get proper training for your HGV license. HGV stands for Heavy Goods Vehicle and without this license; you cannot get into the HGV industry.
Different types of HGV driver’s license
There are a few categories that require different types of driver’s licenses. This is due to the weight of various vehicles. Some of the prominent ones include:
- Cat C1 + E
- Cat C1
- Cat C
- Cat C + E
How to get an HGV license
Good training is required in any field. If you get proper training with the help of professionals, you will be able to get much better employment opportunities in the future. This line of work pays good salaries and once you get good at it, you’ll be allowed to change and decide your working experience to a large extent. The test consists of various steps. Given below are some steps about how you can get your HGV license:
Give a medical test
During your training period, you will have to give and pass a test that will determine if you’re medically fit to drive heavy vehicles. The test makes sure you don’t suffer from any conditions or illnesses that might hinder your job. This is to prevent any accidents from happening and anyone from getting hurt. You will communicate with a doctor and then give a brief test.
Give a theory test
To prepare for your theory test, you can use the resources (you can also but theory books on amazon) and information made available by the company that is training you and use practice tests to get better. The final test will consist of multiple-choice questions that you will have to give.
Get proper practical training
Once you pass your theory test, you’ll have to train practically. You’ll be able to drive HGV and learn how to manage it properly. If you’ve trained enough for it, you won’t have to give the practical exam multiple times. Chances are you’ll be able to pass it the first time.
All these steps are straightforward and uncomplicated. Once you get your license, you can start looking for a suitable job. If you wish to get training & recruitment service you should get in touch with HGVT.