Theo Silvester died after choking on a sausage roll
A young boy died after choking on a sausage roll while eating his packed lunch at school, an inquest has heard.
Theo Silvester, aged five, was having lunch at Anlaby Primary School in Hull when he began choking.
During a hearing at Hull Coroner’s Court in East Yorkshire, it was revealed that food dropped below the schoolboy’s larynx and blood began to seep out of his mouth.
His health and safety trained teachers battled to save him before paramedics arrived, but sadly he was dead within an hour.
Paying tribute to Theo in a written statement, his mother Katie told the hearing: ‘He was a lovely, charming boy.
‘He was only with us a short time and he was taken from us so suddenly and tragically.
‘He is my baby and always will be. He has left an empty void for his family and friends.
‘Everyone will remember his beautiful smile, he was the life and soul and brightened every room.’
Theo, who had only started school in September 2016, began choking and turning blue as he ate lunch with his friends.
Lunchtime supervisor Laura Boynton, who was stood just metres away from Theo, was alerted to the school boy choking after one of his female friends shouted: ‘Miss, he’s choking.’
The youngster was having lunch with his friends at Anlaby Primary School when the tragedy happened
His teachers battled to save him but he sadly died within an hour of the accident
The ambulance arrived at the scene at 12.15pm – three minutes after being called by staff on February 3, this year.
Despite heroic first aid from Science Teacher Matthew Coombe who embarked on ‘several backslaps and chest compressions’, Theo became limp and unresponsive.
Paramedic Steven Dauber took over from Mr Coombe’s attempts and the medic managed to remove two pieces of food and a large piece of sausage from his airways.
However, Mr Dauber said that even though he had removed the obstructive food, the youngster’s lungs still began to fill with blood.
Theo was driven to hospital by ambulance and was passed over to A&E staff at Hull Royal Infirmary at 12:46 and was pronounced dead just 10 minutes later.
Dr Mary Barraclough, an A&E counsultant paediatrician, told the inquest that the food had become ‘sticky’ said the amount of food stuck below the youngster’s larynx had a ‘major role’ in Theo’s death.
She said: ‘The situation was irreversible.
‘The amount of the sausage roll and the position of the sausage roll meant that any of the help given was unsuccessful.
Paying tribute to Theo in a written statement, his mother Katie told the hearing: ‘He was a lovely, charming boy’
‘Effectively, the amount in his throat and below the larynx made the situation almost unsurvivable.’
Dr Barraclough added: ‘Unlike a sweet, a sausage roll is sticky and would have been difficult to dislodge unlike a sweet.’
Summing up the inquest, Dr Paul Marks returned a conclusion of accidental death.
Dr Marks said: ‘This was a tragic accident and could not have been predicted.
‘He was a happy and helpful boy.
‘These terrible events could not have been and despite commendable response from teaching staff they couldn’t save him as food had passed below his airways.
The family, who sobbed quietly during the hearing, did not wish to give a statement following the outcome of the inquest
‘I can see in court today how profoundly his death has had upon everybody.’
Mrs Silvester said Theo adored the Marvel superheroes and Spiderman.
She said in her statement that he had a group of girls at school who he would play with and they would ‘look after him’ and ‘unpack his packed lunch and clean up after him’.
The family, who sobbed quietly during the hearing, did not wish to give a statement following the outcome of the inquest.
Speaking after the hearing, headteacher at the school, Gareth May, said: ‘Theo’s death was a terrible tragedy which has deeply affected everyone who knew him.
‘I would like to thank our staff and others who made desperate efforts to save him.
‘We will always remember Theo as a happy, laughing child, and our thoughts and prayers are with his family.’