News, Culture & Society

Hundreds of residents are evacuated as Bolton University student halls ‘go up in flames’

Hundreds of residents are evacuated and emergency services scrambled as Bolton University student halls of residents ‘go up in flames’

  • There are now more than 12 fire engines at scene of fire in Bolton town centre
  • Blaze is reported to be at a student accommodation block in Bradshawgate
  • Shocked student resident said they escaped flames but belongings are inside
  • It is estimated that between 50 and 100 people were evacuated from building 
  • Eyewitness reported seeing students ‘crying on their phones’ after evacuation 
  • **Are you affected? Get in touch using james.wood@mailonline.co.uk** 

A huge emergency service response is underway after a fire broke out at a student block in Bolton this evening. 

Locals said the scene was ‘shocking’ as residents were evacuated and workers battled the flames at Bradshawgate in Bolton town centre.

Eyewitnesses reported seeing students ‘crying on their phones’ at the scene of the blaze where more than 12 fire engines are now in attendance.  

A spokeswoman for Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service said they were called at 8.50pm. ‘We currently have six fire engines in attendance,’ she said.  

A massive fire and emergency services operation is underway this evening after a student building went up in flames in Bolton (pictured, the scene of the blaze)

Eyewitnesses reported seeing students 'crying on their phones' at the scene of the blaze where more than 12 fire engines are now in attendance (pictured, the scene of the fire)

Eyewitnesses reported seeing students ‘crying on their phones’ at the scene of the blaze where more than 12 fire engines are now in attendance (pictured, the scene of the fire)

There is also a significant police presence at the scene, as firefighters desperately battle the flames (pictured)

There is also a significant police presence at the scene, as firefighters desperately battle the flames (pictured) 

Locals said the scene was "shocking" as residents were evacuated and workers battled the flames

Locals said the scene was ‘shocking’ as residents were evacuated and workers battled the flames

There is also a significant police presence at the scene. 

Officers for Greater Manchester Police Bolton North said: ‘We are currently dealing with an incident on Bradshawgate and have a number of road closures in place. 

‘Please avoid the area until further notice. Thank you for your cooperation.’

Dominic Walsh, 36, was in a nearby curry house with his father when the fire started and he estimated between 50 and 100 people were evacuated from the building, which houses students.

He said: ‘We could smell smoke and we thought it was just coming from the kitchen, then a couple of fire engines rocked up and then a few people were coming out of the building, and then a few more.

‘When we stepped out we could see the embers in the sky. We could see the building glowing at the top.’ 

A spokeswoman for Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service said they were called to Bradshawgate in Bolton town centre at 8.50pm. "We currently have six fire engines in attendance," she said

A spokeswoman for Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service said they were called to Bradshawgate in Bolton town centre at 8.50pm. ‘We currently have six fire engines in attendance,’ she said

A spokeswoman for Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service said they were called to Bradshawgate in Bolton town centre at 8.50pm

A spokeswoman for Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service said they were called to Bradshawgate in Bolton town centre at 8.50pm

A huge emergency service response is underway after a fire broke out at a student block in Bolton this evening (pictured)

A huge emergency service response is underway after a fire broke out at a student block in Bolton this evening (pictured)

He said he didn’t see any casualties although a number of students were ‘crying on their phones’.

‘It was pretty awful,’ he said, adding: ‘They were just in shock.’

Shocked students have taken to social media to share their experiences of the fire, with one saying: ‘My Bolton student accommodation is on fire. I am safe just sad that my belongings are in there! But the main thing is I’m out and I’m safe.’

**Are you affected? Get in touch using james.wood@mailonline.co.uk or call 0203 615 2574** 

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.