An inmate has warned that Gilgo Beach serial killing suspect Rex Heuermann is a ‘marked man’ and will be attacked if removed from protective custody.
Philip Walker told the New York Post from inside Suffolk County Correctional Facility that Heuermann, 59, was not safe inside the general prison population.
Heuerman, who’s charged with killing three women and suspected of killing a fourth, is currently being held in a separate part of the facility.
According to Walker, a large number of those inside the jail had came from Long Island, where Gilgo Beach is, and knew about the murders.
He said : ‘I don’t think people would be too happy if he was in population. I don’t think it would be good if he was moved into population. I could see someone doing something to him.
‘Crimes against women and girls, especially killing them, is frowned upon here. A lot of us have sisters, daughters, mothers. No one likes guys who did crimes like that.’
Heuermann, 59, was taken into custody dramatically in the street earlier this month on suspicion of some of New York state’s most horrific and prolific unsolved murders
According to Walker, the whole of Suffolk County jail, pictured here, goes into a lockdown when he has to be moved around the prison
The convict added that most people in the county prison are from Long Island and knew about the Gilgo Beach murders.
According to Walker, the whole prison goes into lockdown when Heuermann is moved around.
He added: ‘ Everything shuts down when they move him to the yard, medical, whatever. We all know it’s for him.’
Heuermann was dramatically arrested earlier this month in Midtown Manhattan outside his Fifth Avenue firm, 13 years after the discovery of four bodies along Gilgo beach, all wrapped in camouflage burlap sacks.
In total, the bodies of 11 people, including a toddler, have been found along that same stretch.
He is charged with murdering three of the Gilgo Beach victims – Melissa Barthelemy, Megan Waterman and Amber Costello. He has pleaded not guilty.
He is also considered the prime suspect in the death of a fourth woman, Maureen Brainard-Barnes.
Her body was bound and hidden in thick underbrush along a remote beach highway, and authorities have not ruled out charging him with more murders.
Melissa Barthelemy, top left, Amber Costello, top right, Megan Waterman, bottom left, and Maureen Brainard-Barnes. Authorities on Long Island are vowing to continue investigating the Gilgo Beach murders after charging an architect in the deaths of three of the 11 victims
A fleet of forensic investigators have since been combing through the 59-year-old architect’s ‘dungeon-like’ Massapequa Park home since his arrest.
DailyMail.com spotted one investigator carrying a note listing some of the evidence found inside
Among the items on the list were a rope kept in a vault, a torn man’s shirt with a stain in a bag and handcuff keys in a shelf underneath a work bench.
It’s unclear when those specific items were cleared from the home or whether they were tied to the investigation, but officers have been searching the property for ‘trophies’ that may be linked to the victims.
Last Sunday police removed a massive haul of more than 200 weapons from the home.
Neighbors have previously said that the suspected serial killer had always been creepy, leading some adults to instruct their children to avoid the suburban home.
Heuermann, pictured here, is also considered prime suspect in the death of a fourth woman, Maureen Brainard-Barnes
The suspected Gilgo Beach serial killer Rex Heuermann kept a torn, stained shirt and handcuff keys in a workshop at his Long Island home
A fleet of forensic investigators are combing through the 59-year-old architect’s ‘dungeon-like’ Massapequa Park home
Forensic investigators continue to comb through Heuermann’s property
One neighbor, Etienne Devilliers, on Wednesday said that Heuermann peeked over their fence to look at his wife sunbathing when they first moved in.
He said that at first he thought Heuermann was ‘just being friendly’, but a conversation between the two men afterward was ‘unpleasant’, although after the incident he was always ‘friendly and pleasant’.
He described Heuermann’s wife as ‘equally as odd’ and was ‘very isolated’ and mostly kept to herself.
The investigation into Heuermann now spans at least three states, including South Carolina where he owns property and Nevada where he owned a condo in Sin City.
Earlier this week it was revealed that Heuermann’s wife Asa Ellerup had filed for divorce in New York that is described as ‘uncontested’.