News Breakfast presenters have had two very different responses to an earthquake that hit the ABC’s Melbourne studio.
The magnitude 5.8 quake was felt across Melbourne at 9.15am on Wednesday, with residents reporting feeling strong tremors for 30 seconds.
Presenters Michael Rowland and Tony Armstrong were forced to stop mid-program when the studio began to shake.
‘Is it an earthquake or a structural thing?’ a concerned Mr Rowland is heard asking.
Presenters Michael Rowland (left) and Tony Armstrong (right) were forced to stop mid-program when the earthquake began to shake the ABC’s Melbourne studio on Wednesday
The anxious presenter grabbed his phone and prepared to leave the studio as his smiling co-host remained seemingly unbothered by the tremors.
‘Let’s go,’ Mr Rowland said to the newsroom.
‘That was a big one.’
‘That’s still tremoring,’ Mr Armstrong added.
Twitter users were quick to poke fun at the pair with many comparing the hosts’ polar-opposite reactions to the large earthquake.
“Let’s go!” What a bad ass reaction from Michael!’ one user said.
‘For fans of Tony, all we see is him holding down that desk and saving the building,’ another woman tweeted.
‘He was cool, calm and collected. As always,’ a third agreed.
Mr Rowland tagged his co-host in a post to social media following the quake tweeting: ‘That was quite a post-show chat with @Tonaaayy_.’
Pictures have emerged of a Betty’s Burgers franchise partially collapsed on Chapel St in Melbourne’s inner-city after a magnitude 5.8 earthquake
The epicentre of the quake was 10km deep near Mansfield, a small town on the foothills of Victoria’s alps, with after-effects felt in parts of Canberra, Sydney, and even Tasmania.
Houses in Melbourne shook and movement could be felt in Geelong and even at Canberra’s Parliament House and Sydney’s CBD.
The natural phenomenon was followed by a 4.0 magnitude aftershock 18 minutes later.
The earthquake is the biggest Victoria has experienced since European settlement (1834) and there will be aftershocks, a seismologist told ABC Radio Melbourne.
Damage was seen to a shopfront on Chapel Street in South Yarra, with footage revealing rubble from the impacted building strewn across the pavement.
Bemused locals were seen coming out of their homes to assess the damage.
Premier Dan Andrews confirmed the quake and asked residents to stay alert and take advice from the Emergency Victoria website.
‘Yes, that was an earthquake,’ he tweeted at 9:47am.
‘Keep an eye on the Emergency Victoria website for the latest information.’
Victoria’s State Emergency Service said if residents have building damage or require assistance to expect a wait time, as phone lines may be busy.
The earthquake is the biggest Victoria has experienced since European settlement (1834) and there will be aftershocks, a seismologist told ABC Radio Melbourne (pictured, damaged buildings on Chapel Street following the earthquake)
The epicentre of the quake was in Mansfield in eastern Victoria but the shockwaves were felt as far south as Tasmania and as far north as NSW
Prime Minister Scott Morrison then fronted a press conference in Washington DC – where he is taking part in the Quad leaders summit – to reveal the ‘rare event’ had so far led to no injuries.
‘These are very rare events in Australia and I am sure people would have been disturbed by that, particularly in the most immediate area effected,’ he said.
‘The agencies at a state government level are there, responding and the federal government will provide the support that is necessary.’
A homeowner near Leongatha in South Gippsland revealed her glass of her shower began to shake when the earthquake hit and described the sound like a ‘jet engine’.
‘I grabbed my granddaughter and held her tight,’ the woman said. ‘It was very frightening.’
Alice Murphy, a resident of Fitzroy three kilometres north of the Melbourne CBD, was working at her laptop when the tremors began.
‘For a second I thought it was a tram passing by or a huge gust of wind, but then the walls were shaking and the candles were bouncing off the mantlepiece,’ she said.
‘It lasted about 20 seconds and then everyone spilled out onto the street to make sure they hadn’t imagined it!’
Social media users in Melbourne reacted with shock after the earthquake shook the Victorian capital, with many taking to Twitter to confirm their suspicions
Premier Dan Andrews confirmed the quake at 9:47am on Twitter and asked residents to stay alert and take advice from the Emergency Victoria website
Damage was seen to a shopfront on Chapel Street in South Yarra, with footage revealing rubble from the impacted buildings strewn across the pavement
More to come.