Clever ways to cosy up your living space
Transform your bedroom into a boutique-hotel-style boudoir by making clever use of texture
BED, £3,999; BEDLINEN, from £28; CASHMERE CUSHION (left), £99; CUSHION, £129, and THROW, £269, both Iiiik Into Oy; TABLES, £397 each, Mater; SMALL TRAY, £58, Phil Cuttance; VASE, £55; PENDANT, £860, Northern, and RUG, £639, Linie Design, all heals.com
PLAY WITH TEXTURE…
LAUNDRY BASKET, £100; THROW, £120; BENCH, £295; RUG, £350; CUSHIONS from top: CREAM, £55; PILE, £55; WOOL, £50, and GREY, £75, all habitat.co.uk
- Build up multiple layers. For an easy way to work the trend, pile on the cushions and throws, using different textures and tonal shades.
- Introduce touchy-feely furniture such as the sheepskin Fox chair from Habitat or the latest Bethan Gray collection at Anthropologie.
- Look for natural materials such as jute rugs, sheepskin and hessian wallpaper.
- Go overboard with pattern – this look is about tonal texture, not clashing prints.
- Limit yourself to soft furnishings. Ceramics and wood are also clever ways to add texture.
- Forget about your walls. Textured paint – such as the Craig & Rose Artisan Stone Effect range at homebase.co.uk – adds depth to a room. For a quick update, opt for a woven wall hanging; or, for a bold statement, hang a floor rug.
…AND WARM UP WITH WOOD AND SHEEPSKIN
GET YOUR NATURE HIT…
…in the comfort of your home. You can hibernate without feeling cooped up! Here’s how
5 WAYS TO ADD A BREATH OF FRESH AIR
- Create a green wall using winter’s go-to paint colours, such as Jewel Beetle at littlegreene.com or Amsterdam Green at anniesloan.com.
- Use natural flooring. If stripped wooden floorboards aren’t an option in your home, try quick-step.co.uk for a wide range of engineered boards or faux-wood vinyls.
- Bring in forest-print fabrics and wallpaper – surfaceview.co.uk sells bold wall murals. Or try an abstract fabric, such as the Norrland collection from villanova.co.uk, for fresh ways to incorporate woodland patterns in your home.
- Go wild for indoor greenery. Brighten up your surfaces with house plants – a mix of real and artificial work well together. Find a wide range of faux foliage at abigailahern.com.
- Incorporate textured wooden furniture – swooneditions.com has a great range of sideboards and dining tables.
ON THE WOODLAND TRAIL
PLATE, £4.99, hm.com
FOREST-SCENTED CANDLE, £29, trouva.com
WOODEN BASKETS, from £19.99 (small), zara.com
VELVET BEDSPREAD, £225, toa.st
SIDEBOARD, £699; FAUX FIG TREE, £69; BOWL, £6; VASE, £19.50; TABLE AND TWO-BENCH SET, £499; THROW, £39.50; HEXAGON-PRINT CUSHION, £29.50; BIRD CUSHION, £17.50; PLANTS, from £9.50; DINNER PLATE, £5; SIDE PLATE, £5; CERAL BOWLS, £4 and £8; TEAPOT, £19.50; JUG, £25; MUG, £4, and RUG, from £179, all marksandspencer.com
TURN UP THE TOASTINESS
A log fire, warming palette and textured furniture will keep you feeling the glow in the winter months. Chair, £1,200; Footstool, £599; Cushion, £40; Rug, £550, and Floor Lamp, £175, all johnlewis.com
- Bring in a pile of logs to add an instant rustic feel. No real fire? No problem. Create a wintry display instead by piling them high in a basket or stacking them under a low shelf.
- Layer rugs – add warmth by mixing different sizes and textures together to cover draughty floors. This is also a quick and easy way to connect open living spaces and ‘join’ rooms together.
- Bulk up your curtains by adding another layer of fabric or a thermal lining. This will help to keep the warmth in, as well as reduce winter heating costs.
- Inject a jewel tone. A pop of rich colour – in the form of cushions or a blanket – gives an instant winter update.
- Fluff up your furniture. Sheepskins over dining chairs will cosy up your winter meals.
- Nothing says snug like an open fire or log burner. Create a focal point in the room by angling furniture to face it.
- Dim the lights and embrace the darkness with candlelight and lamps. Choose a wintry scented candle or room diffuser for the full sensory experience.
- Cover your sofa or armchairs with woven throws. Tuck in neatly for a chic take on the look.
4 RUSTIC LOG BASKETS