The International Emmy Awards will no longer give Kevin Spacey an award, the group announced today.
The awards ceremony announced via Twitter: ‘The International Academy has announced that in light of recent events it will not honor Kevin Spacey with the 2017 Intl Emmy Founders Award.’
The announcement comes after actor Anthony Rapp said in an interview that Spacey attempted to sexually assault him in 1986, and incident the ‘House of Cards’ star says he does not remember. Rapp was 14 at the time while Spacey was 26.
Spacey, 58, was set to receive the Founders Award, which is given to an entertainment professional ‘whose unique creative accomplishments contribute to the quality of global television production,’ at the November 20 ceremony, which is to be held in New York City.
Meanwhile, Rapp has been seen on the streets of Los Angeles for the first time since his allegations were made public via an interview he gave to Buzzfeed. Rapp, 46, was photographed drinking a Smartwater.
Kevin Spacey, 58, has been accused of attempted sexual assault by actor Anthony Rapp. Spacey was due to be honored with the Founders Award at the 2017 International Emmy Awards
Anthony Rapp is seen for the first time since his allegations against Spacey were made public
Rapp, who has starred in ‘Star Trek’ and ‘Rent,’ has accused Spacey of attempting to sexually assault him in 1986. Rapp at the time was 14, and Spacey was 26
The awards body announced: ‘The International Academy has announced that in light of recent events it will not honor Kevin Spacey with the 2017 Intl Emmy Founders Award’
Last year, the award went to Shonda Rhimes, of ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ and ‘Scandal’ fame. Since Jim Hensen received the inaugural award in 1980, it has gone to stars such as Oprah Winfrey, ‘Glee’ creator Ryan Murphy and Bill Cosby, who has been accused of sexual assault.
The International Emmy Awards honor television produced outside of the United States.
Meanwhile, Netflix has announced that it is cancelling Spacey’s show ‘House of Cards’ after its sixth season, which is currently in production.
Media Rights Capital, who produces House of Cards, and Netflix released a joint statement on Monday saying they ‘are deeply troubled by last night’s news concerning Kevin Spacey,’ who ‘as previously scheduled’ is not currently working on set.
‘In response to last night’s revelations, executives from both of our companies arrived in Baltimore this afternoon to meet with our cast and crew to ensure that they continue to feel safe and supported,’ said the two companies.
The show’s creator Beau Willimon also weighed in, saying: ‘Anthony Rapp’s story is deeply troubling. During the time I worked with Kevin Spacey on House of Cards, I neither witnessed nor was aware of any inappropriate behavior on set or off.’
He went on to state: ‘That said, I take reports of such behavior seriously and this is no exception. I feel for Mr. Rapp and I support his courage.’
There is also a chance that Spacey’s character was never meant to be in the sixth season, with his character’s health an issue throughout the five previous seasons of the show and the actor currently in the middle of shooting a Gore Vidal bio pic.
Spacey is now being compared to Harvey Weinstein by members of Hollywood’s LGBTQ community, who view his sudden openness about his sexuality as nothing more than a ‘calculated manipulation.’
Rosie O’Donnell, who is never one to hide her feelings, went right for the jugular in her response, writing: ‘u don’t remember the incident – 30 years ago? – f*** u kevin – like Harvey we all knew about u – I hope more men come forward.’
When someone asked O’Donnell is she know of any more Hollywood predators like Spacey and Weinstein, she responded: ‘of creepy men in Hollywood? white guys in positions of power? ummm there r too many.’
She later clarified her claim that everyone knew as well, stating: ‘no one knew it was kids except for the ones he abused most abusers have many many victims.’
Wanda Sykes tweeted: ‘No no no no no! You do not get to “choose” to hide under the rainbow! Kick rocks!’
Zachary Quinto meanwhile took a more thoughtful approach, and eviscerated the two time-Oscar winner in a searing indictment of his behavior through the years in which he accused the actor of remaining in the closet for his own benefit.
‘It is deeply sad and troubling that this is how Kevin Spacey has chosen to come out,’ wrote Quinto, who produced the 2011 film ‘Margin Call’ which starred Spacey.
‘Not by standing up as a point of pride – in the light of all his many awards and accomplishments thus inspiring tens of thousands of struggling LGBTQ kids around the world – but as a calculated manipulation to deflect attention from the very serious accusation that he attempt to molest one.’
He continued: ‘I am sorry to hear of Anthony Rapp’s experience and subsequent suffering. And I am sorry that Kevin only saw fit to acknowledge his truth when he though it would serve him — just as his denial served him for so many years.
‘May Anthony Rapp’s voice be the one which is amplified here. Victim’s voices are the ones that deserve to be heard.’
‘Star Trek’ star George Takei also went after Spacey’s statement, and his conflating of this alleged assault and his sexuality.
‘When power is used in a non-consensual situation, it is a wrong,’ said Takei.
‘For Anthony Rapp, he has had to live with the memory of this experience of decades ago. For Kevin Spacey, who claims not to remember the incident, he was the older, dominant one who had his way.’
He then explained: ‘Men who improperly harass or assault do not do so because they are gay or straight — that is a deflection. They do so because they have the power, and they chose to abuse it.’
The incident that spurred this all allegedly took place at Spacey’s apartment in 1986 when the actor invited Rapp to a party while they were both appearing on Broadway.
In an interview with Buzzfeed, Rapp said that he found himself alone in the apartment at the end of the night and that Spacey then began to make his move.
‘He picked me up like a groom picks up the bride over the threshold. But I don’t, like, squirm away initially, because I’m like, ‘What’s going on?’ And then he lays down on top of me,’ said Rapp, who detailed being pressed up against the bed before being able to squirm away and ultimately leave the house without being assaulted by Spacey.
At the time, Spacey was just at the start of his illustrious professional career, having been selected by Jack Lemmon personally to star alongside him in the Broadway run of Eugene O’Neill’s “Long Day’s Journey Into Night.’
That same year, he also scored his first big screen role with a cameo in the Nora Ephron comedy ‘Heartburn.’
His brief part was that of a subway thief, whose failed attempt to steal the purse of the film’s leading lady, played by Meryl Streep, is one of the more memorable parts of the movie.
He would go on to win the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor in 1996 for ‘The Usual Suspects’ and the Best Actor trophy in 2000 for ‘American Beauty.’
There was talk of Spacey possibly scoring another nomination this year as well for his work in the beloved summer hit ‘Baby Driver’ or the upcoming Getty biopic ‘All the Money In the World.’
Spacey issued a statement soon after the Buzzfeed story was published on Sunday, which began with his claim that he did not recall this incident.
‘But if I did behave then as he describes, I owe him the sincerest apology for what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behavior,’ wrote Spacey.
‘This story has encouraged me to address other things about my life. I know that there are other stories out there about me and that some have been fueled by the fact that I have been so protective of my privacy.’
He then went on to state: ‘I now choose to live as a gay man.’
This was a shocking statement from Spacey, who in 2010 said that being forced to reveal his sexuality was akin to being a bullied teen in an interview with The Daily Beast .
‘I think what we have seen in terms of gay teenagers committing suicide because of bullying is anguishing. I think young people, if they are feeling like they are confused, need to know that there are people to talk to and that there are places they can go and not feel alone,’ said Spacey.
‘But I feel that they have just as many rights as I do to not be bullied. And I don’t understand people who say, “Well, this is a terrible thing that is happening to this young person whose life is being exposed,” and then turn around and do it to another person. People have different reasons for the way they live their lives. You cannot put everyone’s reasons in the same box.’
He then closed out his response by sating: ‘It’s just a line I’ve never crossed and never will.’
Rapp meanwhile said after the publication of his story: ‘I came forward with my story, standing on the shoulders of the many courageous women and men who have been speaking out to shine a light and hopefully make a difference, as they have done for me.
‘Everything I wanted to say about my experience is in that article, and I have no further comment about it at this time.’