Social media users have taken fire at the Duke and Duchess of Sussex after they shared advice on how to stop the spread of coronavirus and encouraged followers to ‘support health workers’ by staying at home.
Prince Harry, 35, and Meghan Markle, 38, who are currently living in a Vancouver Island mansion, shared a post on Instagram with the six WHO recommendations, before posting three pictures of healthcare workers on the frontline across the world.
Sharing their advice, the couple wrote: ‘For all of us, the best way we can support health workers is to make sure we do not make their job any harder by spreading this disease further.’
However social media users slammed the royals for sharing advice that was already know.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex shared advice on preventing the spread of coronavirus on their instagram page, urging followers to ‘wash their hands often’ and ‘avoid touching your face’
Prince Harry, 35, and Meghan Markle, 38, who are currently living in a Vancouver Island mansion, shared the Instagram message with followers urging them to stay at home (Pictured: Duke and Duchess of Sussex at Westminster Abbey on Commonwealth Day Service)
However social media users poked fun at the advice and said it was information they had already been given
One user wrote: ‘Oh my, nobody had told us that before. So good that you can provide information that nobody else can.’
While another added: ‘Gosh I haven’t seen this information before. Where have I been?’
Another person commented: ‘Nothing that we haven’t already been told a hundred times. Still trying to stay relevant.’
Meanwhile anther person said: ‘I’m desperately trying to find a post that isn’t telling us what we already know…WE KNOW!!! Anyone who isn’t aware of the steps we have to take by now must be living under a rock.’
The sarcastic responses come after they shared a post last week encouraging followers to ‘train as counsellors’ if they grow bored at home while isolating during the crisis.
Along with their lengthy Instagram caption they shared pictures of healthcare workers holding signs urging people to stay at home while they work tirelessly in hospitals.
One image featured a group of medical staff from Wales holding the Welsh flag along with each person holding a placard stating: ‘We stay here for you. Please stay home for us.’
And the couple appeared to emphasise the importance of staying at home with a picture of two female medical professionals holding a sign each which had a similar message.
Sharing the images with their 11.3million followers, the couple wrote: ‘Around the world, the response from people in every walk of life, to protect and look out for their communities has been inspiring.
People took to Instagram to question why the couple had decided to share the information now
‘None more so than the brave and dedicated healthcare workers on the frontline, risking their own well-being to care for the sick and fight COVID-19.’
‘Wherever you are in the world, we are all incredibly grateful.’
They added: ‘No matter where you are, the World Health Organisation have shared some guidelines that can help.
‘You may have seen or heard these before, but they are as important today as ever. Please click our link in bio for more information from @WHO.’
The Instagram message was shared with their 11.3million followers and featured medical professionals from around the globe (pictured)
One image featured a group of medical staff from Wales holding the Welsh flag along with each person holding a placard stating: ‘We stay here for you. Please stay home for us’
It’s not the first post the Duke and Duchess have shared since the crisis broke-out across the world.
On Friday they shared a series of ‘resources to help us all through the process’, including asking followers to digitally train as counselors in order to help support others.
Along with their lengthy message about resources to help those struggling mentally, they shared a bright turquoise image which included the words: ‘Today I feel…’
The Sussexes’ comments come after a close friend exclusively told DailyMail.com Meghan and Prince Harry are self-isolating in Canada, with Meghan confiding in friends that Harry feels ‘helpless’ and is ‘concerned’ about the Queen and his father catching coronavirus.
In another photograph shared by the couple, two medical staff could be seen holding placards reading: ‘I stayed at work for you, you stay at home for us’
The Duchess is also taking steps to protect her family, requiring ‘everyone on their team, the people who buy groceries and run errands, to wear latex gloves at all times and are to follow a strict hygiene protocol’, the source said.
The friend added: ‘Meghan said just because they are isolating themselves, it doesn’t mean they can’t help. They aren’t just sitting around at home doing nothing.’
They continued: ‘Meghan told her inner circle that what’s happening in the world right now is a mental health crisis.
‘She said they are working with a mental health non-profit to create some sort of online support system for those most vulnerable, like new mothers suffering from postpartum depression.
On Friday the Duke and Duchess of Sussex shared a bright turquoise image which included the words: ‘Today I feel…’
‘People who lack support systems need reassurance that they are not alone.’
Meghan and Harry have just returned to Canada following their last official engagements as working members of the royal family.
They attended the Mountbatten Festival of Music and reunited with Prince William and Kate Middleton during the Commonwealth Day celebrations.
Upon being back in Canada, the close friend said Meghan admitted that Harry ‘feels a bit helpless and isolated out in the middle of nowhere, but is grateful that they are all together as a family.’
The couple are currently isolating in in a waterfront Vancouver Island mansion after stepping back from life as senior members of the royal family earlier this month