News, Culture & Society

Iowa family-of-four found dead in Tulum, Mexico condo

An Iowa family was found dead in their Mexico condo on Friday – a day after a worried friend reported them missing. 

Kevin and Amy Sharp, ages 41 and 38, and their two kids, 12-year-old Sterling and seven-year-old Adrianna, flew to Mexico on March 13 for a week-long vacation in the Caribbean resort town of Tulum – just north of Cancun. 

They were scheduled to fly back to their home in Creston, Iowa on March 21, in order to attend a basketball game the following day. 

An Iowa family-of-four was found dead in their Mexican condo on Friday. The family from left to right in December: Mom Amy Sharp, 38; son Sterling, 12; daughter Adrianna, seven; dad Kevin, 41

A friend of the family's wrote on Facebook on Friday that no foul play was suspected in their deaths

A friend of the family’s wrote on Facebook on Friday that no foul play was suspected in their deaths

Friends grew worried when they failed to show up to the game and wouldn’t answer their messages and calls. 

The US Embassy was called, who in turn asked Mexican authorities to investigate the matter. 

Provincial police in Quintana Roo broke into the family’s condo in the Bahia Principe tourist complex and found all four members of the family dead, and their bodies in a state of decomposition. 

Friends reported the family missing on Thursday when they failed to show up to a basketball game. They were scheduled to return to the U.S. On March 21 (pictured in 2016)

Friends reported the family missing on Thursday when they failed to show up to a basketball game. They were scheduled to return to the U.S. On March 21 (pictured in 2016)

The two kids were found in the living room while the parents were found in a bedroom, according to the Yucatan Times.

Local authorities won’t say what killed the family, but say there was no signs of violence and foul play isn’t suspected.

Mark Williams, a law enforcement official back in Iowa, told Omaha.com that Mexican officials suspect the family may have died from a gas leak.

Ashli Peterson, the friend who originally posted the worried Facebook message about the family, updated followers about their death on Friday. 

‘The Sharps have been located. They were found last night in their condo deceased. There was no foul play! At this time that is all the information we have.

‘Please respect the family at this time as they go through the grieving process. Thank you for all the posts, shares, and kind words,’ Peterson said.  

The family were staying in a condo in the large Bahia Principe tourist complex (seen above). Mexican official allegedly suspect carbon monoxide poisoning in their deaths

The family were staying in a condo in the large Bahia Principe tourist complex (seen above). Mexican official allegedly suspect carbon monoxide poisoning in their deaths



Read more at DailyMail.co.uk