Tensions between the United States and Iran escalated on Thursday as Iranian President Hassan Rouhani has said that his country would vote for the United Nations headquarters to be moved out of New York City if they were given the chance.
‘If we’re ever asked, we will, of course, vote for it, for the United Nations headquarters to be transferred to a more secure and better country that does not have the narrow viewpoints that we have been witnessing,’ he said during a press conference.
Rouhani spoke of instances where Iranians had been barred from entering the U.S.
Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said that the United Nations should be moved to a ‘more secure and better country’
This week, the Trump administration restricted senior Iranian government officials and their family members from entering the U.S.
‘For years, Iranian officials and their family members have quietly taken advantage of America’s freedom and prosperity, including excellent educational, employment, entertainment, and cultural opportunities in the United States,’ Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in a statement.
‘Under this proclamation, designated senior regime officials and their families will no longer be allowed entry into the United States. No longer will elites reap the benefits of a free society while the Iranian people suffer under the regime’s corruption and mismanagement.’
Rouhani fired back accusing the U.S. of capitalizing on its position as the host nation for the U.N.
President Hassan Rouhani demanded that Washington back up its accusations that Iran was behind the attacks on the Saudi Arabian oil refinery
Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani speaks during a news conference. On Wednesday he accused Washington of engaging in ‘international piracy’ against Iran by re-imposing economic sanctions after the U.S. withdrew from the 2015 nuclear deal with world powers
‘This is the house of peace and house of communications with one another and America must not take advantage of its position as a host and only grant visas to whom America likes,’ he said.
During a lengthy press conference, Rouhani said he blamed the U.S. for the collapse of the 2015 Iran nuclear deal and called on the U.S. to remove sanctions before talks can occur between the two countries.
‘If these preconditions are taken off the table and then of course the possibility exists to talk with America,’ Rouhani said.
Tensions between Iran and the U.S. have been escalating for more than a year since Trump withdrew the U.S. from the 2015 Iran nuclear deal.
On Tuesday, in his speech to the U.N. General Assembly, President Trump said that ‘no responsible government should subsidize Iran’s bloodlust.’
He accused Iran’s leaders of ‘fueling the tragic wars in both Syria and Yemen,’ and of ‘squandering their nation’s wealth in a fanatical quest for nuclear weapons and the means to deliver them.’
‘We must never allow this to happen,’ he said.
Speculation had been rife that Trump might meet Rouhani on the sidelines of the UN summit but the US leader returned to Washington without a rendezvous taking place.
After a week of diplomacy at the United Nations where European leaders unsuccessfully tried to arrange a US-Iran meeting, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani demanded that Washington back up its accusations that Iran was behind the attacks on a Saudi Arabian oil refinery.
‘Those who make the allegations must provide the needed proof. What is your evidence?’ he told reporters.
The United States, France, Germany, Britain and Saudi Arabia have all, to varying degrees, blamed Iran for the brazen September 14 air strikes on the kingdom’s Abqaiq plant and Khurais oil field.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says that he has shared evidence that Iran carried out an attack on Saudi Arabia
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the United States shared evidence on the attacks with other countries during the UN General Assembly.
‘I think now it has struck them how clear it is that the Islamic Republic of Iran is not prepared to do the right thing and behave like a normal nation,’ Pompeo told reporters Thursday.
Iran ‘used their usual method of trying to obscure this through use of a proxy force. They had to know it was the case that the world would rally against them, and yet they still chose to do it,’ he added.
Tehran has blasted the allegations as ‘ridiculous.’ It denies responsibility, and the attacks have been claimed by Yemen’s Iranian-backed Huthi rebels.
‘If you do have any evidence or documentation please do make them available to me,’ Rouhani said.
Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani is surrounded by security as he leaves a news conference. He urged the United States on Thursday to ‘cease this policy of maximum pressure’ in favor of ‘dialogue, and logic and reason.’