Bus driver jailed over non-fatal crash into notorious bridge is expected to be freed TODAY – as his wife says the family will be going on a long holiday to celebrate
- Ballarat bus driver jailed for injuring six people when he crashed into a bridge
- Jack Aston, 56, won an appeal over the non-fatal 2016 bus crash on Monday
- Aston’s six convictions for negligently causing serious injury were overturned
- He could be released as early as Sunday on a community corrections order
A bus driver jailed for injuring six people when he crashed into a notorious bridge in Melbourne is expected to be freed today, with his wife planning on taking him on a holiday to celebrate.
Jack Aston, 56, accidentally crashed into the Montague Street bridge in Melbourne’s CBD, and while six people were injured, no one was killed in the 2016 incident.
He had a clean record and had no alcohol or drugs in his system, but was sentenced to five years and three months behind bars, with a non-parole of two-and-a-half years.
Jack Aston (pictured with daughter Meg and wife Wendy) accidentally crashed into the Montague Street bridge in 2016, but no one was killed
Ashton was jailed for five years and three months, with a non-parole period of two-and-a-half years, after crashing into the Montague Street Bridge in South Melbourne in February 2016 (pictured)
Mr Aston’s wife, Wendy (pictured with Mr Aston, their son Ben and daughter Meg), said the he plans to work with his son selling spare vehicle parts, and is desperate to go on a holiday
The sentence sparked outrage within the community, with even the injured passengers calling for him not to be jailed.
Last Monday, Mr Aston’s six convictions for negligently causing serious injury were overturned by the Court of Appeal, after finding there was a ‘substantial miscarriage of justice’ in his initial trial.
The Court of Appeal Judges found prosecutors made a mistake by not raising with the judge a less serious alternative charge of dangerous driving.
Mr Aston could walk free from jail on Sunday on a community corrections order and and has promised never to sit behind the wheels of a bus again, Herald Sun reported.
Mr Aston’s wife, Wendy, said the 56-year-old plans to work with his son selling spare vehicle parts, and is desperate to go on a holiday.
‘The first thing he wants to do when get gets home is meet our new puppy Peach and see Flake the dog,’ Mrs Aston said.
Mr Aston’s daughter Meg (pictured) has rallied for her father’s freedom ever since he was locked up
Six of Aston’s 14 passengers suffered a range of injuries including spinal fractures, glass particles in the face, scalp injuries and a broken neck
‘He also wants to go to the beach and get in the water. It won’t matter if it’s 12 degrees.’
The family has plans to go on a family holiday to Burleigh Heads in just a few weeks, wanting to spend as much time together as possible.
The entire family has fought for the father’s release since he was sentenced to prison in December, as they always believed he did not do anything wrong.
‘It has been tough, you’ve always been taught to do the right thing and it was really hard when we’ve always done the right thing,’ Mrs Aston said.
Just last month, Ben took to Facebook to detail the struggle he has endured since his father was locked away.
‘I don’t think a lot of people actually understand what my family and I are going through right now,’ he wrote.
Aston’s family, friends and the wider community rallied together to form a ‘Free Jack’ movement, calling for his release
Aston’s wife Wendy Aston, daughter Meg Aston and son Ben Aston, rally against his sentence of five years and three months