News, Culture & Society

Jadon Sancho left out of Borussia Dortmund squad for German Super Cup against Bayern Munich

Jadon Sancho left out of Borussia Dortmund squad for German Super Cup against Bayern Munich with a ‘respiratory infection’ as Manchester United plot last-ditch move worth up to £90m for England star

  • Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund will face each other on Wednesday
  • The game will take place at the Allianz Arena in a rule change for the Super Cup 
  • But Jadon Sancho and goalkeeper Roman Burki will not make the trip to Munich 
  • The news comes with Manchester United set to make one last try to sign Sancho 

Borussia Dortmund have confirmed star Jadon Sancho has been left out of their German Super Cup squad to face Bayern Munich with a ‘respiratory infection’.  

The two clubs are set to go head-to-head on Wednesday at the Allianz Arena with a rule change meaning the Super Cup now takes place at the home of the Bundesliga champions as opposed to the German Cup holders. 

But Dortmund have now confirmed Sancho and goalkeeper Roman Burki will not fly to south Germany to take on their arch rivals due to respiratory infections.

Borussia Dortmund have confirmed Jadon Sancho will not face Bayern Munich on Wednesday

Dortmund said Sancho and goalkeeper Roman Burki (above) have respiratory infections

Dortmund said Sancho and goalkeeper Roman Burki (above) have respiratory infections

The club however confirmed both players had tested negative for coronavirus. 

The news comes with Manchester United plotting a last-gasp move for the 20-year-old before the transfer window shuts on October 5. 

The England winger has been Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s No 1 target for months but Manchester United have been unwilling to match the Bundesliga side’s £108million valuation. 

But Sportsmail understands that United are preparing a bid of around £65m plus achievable add ons up to £90m for Sancho.

The news comes with Manchester United preparing one last attempt to sign the 20-year-old

The news comes with Manchester United preparing one last attempt to sign the 20-year-old

United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is desperate to add an attacking player before October 5

United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is desperate to add an attacking player before October 5

Dortmund captain Marco Reus however insisted the England international will not be leaving Signal Iduna Park before the window slams shut on Monday. 

Asked about Sancho staying at Dortmund rather than returning to England, Reus told Sky Germany: ‘For us players that was great news.

‘We all were happy that he will be with us for one more year because he delivers assists and goals, so we get points.’ 

However, Reus admitted he expects Sancho to leave Dortmund at the end of this season, particularly if he continues to develop his game at the same rate.

But Dortmund captain Marco Reus insisted Sancho will not be leaving the club this summer

But Dortmund captain Marco Reus insisted Sancho will not be leaving the club this summer

‘If he gets as big as (Lionel) Messi or Ronaldo, we will see,’ the Germany midfielder added.

‘He needs time, experience and it will be important how he manages the times when things don’t go so well. But he has the confidence and the quality.’

Should United’s bid for Sancho fail, they will revert to other options. Watford’s Ismaila Sarr, Napoli forward Arkadiusz Milik and Juventus winger Douglas Costa are among those to have been linked with a switch to Old Trafford.

United have endured an incredibly frustrating transfer window so far, only managing to recruit Netherlands midfielder Donny van de Beek from Ajax in a £40m deal.

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.