- Jeff Horn and Manny Pacquiao have agreed to a rematch after epic boxing clash
- The Australian defeated the Filipino fighter to claim the WBO welterweight title
- Brisbane Mayor Graham Quirk made the announcement on Monday afternoon
- Horn won the previous fight unanimously, but in controversial circumstances
The much-anticipated rematch between Jeff Horn and Manny Pacquiao will go ahead after the Filipino legend finally agreed to again take on the Australian.
Horn won Pacquiao’s WBO welterweight world title in controversial circumstances in July, with the epic 12-round fight leaving boxing fans around the world wanting more.
And now, after fears the pair would not enter the ring together ever again, Brisbane’s Lord Mayor has confirmed that Pacquiao has agreed to return to Australia to take on the home grown hero before the end of the year.
The much-anticipated rematch between Jeff Horn (left) and Manny Pacquiao (right) will go ahead after the Filipino legend finally agreed to again face off against the Australian
Graham Quirk made the announcement outside Brisbane’s City Hall on Monday after an emergency meeting between council and boxing promotors.
Having refused previously to fund the fight until the 11-time world champion agreed to return, Cr Quirk said the council would now work to bring the pair to Brisbane.
‘This opportunity really rested with Manny Pacquiao,’ he said.
‘It was the defender of the title going in to that bout who had the opportunity to have a rematch.’
The Filipino was hot favourite to win his 60th fight and wanted another shot at Floyd Mayweather Jnr.
But in front of his home crowd Horn took out the ‘Battle of Brisbane’, after the three judges scored the contest 117-111, 115-113, 115-113 in his favour.
After fears the pair would not enter the ring together ever again, Brisbane’s Lord Mayor has confirmed that Pacquiao has agreed to return to Australia to take on the home grown hero
Despite Pacquiao’s trainer Freddie Roach saying in the build-up to the Horn fight that he would encourage his charge to retire if he lost, the pair will once again do battle.
After the success of their first fight other cities including Sydney and Melbourne were said to be desperate to host a rematch.
But Cr Quirk announced on Monday that Brisbane had again won the right, but that a venue was yet to be confirmed.