News, Culture & Society

Koala that was rescued by a topless woman during New South Wales bushfires has died 

Tragedy as Lewis – the koala who won hearts around the world after he was rescued from a bushfire by a topless hero – has to be put down because of his horrendous burns

The koala who was rescued by a topless grandmother during the New South Wales bushfires has been put to sleep because his injuries were ‘too serious to treat’.

Toni Doherty was recorded running into an out-of-control bushfire in Long Flat, about 50 kilometres west Port Macquarie, to save the injured marsupial, named Ellenborough Lewis.  

Lewis was taken to the Koala Hospital in Port Macquarie where he received treatment for severe burns to his feet, chest and stomach. 

But the koala’s condition took a turn for the worst and the facility made the difficult decision to put him down on Tuesday.

‘Today we made the decision to put Ellenborough Lewis to sleep,’ the hospital wrote on Facebook. 

‘We placed him under general anaesthesia this morning to assess his burns injuries and change the bandages.’

The koala hospital explained burns injuries ‘can get worse before they get better’.

‘In Ellenborough Lewis’s case, the burns did get worse, and unfortunately would not have gotten better.’ 

‘The Koala Hospital’s number one goal is animal welfare, so it was on those grounds that this decision was made. We thank you for your ongoing support.’  

More to come 

Toni Doherty was recorded running into an out-of-control bushfire in the New South Wales town of Long Flat to save the injured marsupial 

 

 

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.