News, Culture & Society

Labour MP for Rochdale Tony Lloyd, 70, is in hospital with coronavirus

Rochdale MP Tony Lloyd is being cared in hospital after his coronavirus symptoms worsened

A veteran Labour MP who served under Jeremy Corbyn and Tony Blair has been admitted to hospital after being struck down with coronavirus.

Rochdale’s Tony Lloyd, 70, the party’s shadow secretary of state for Northern Ireland, is being cared for at Manchester Royal Infirmary.

Mr Lloyd is believed to be the second serving MP to be admitted to hospital, after Boris Johnson went into St Thomas’ in London for tests yesterday. 

A statement from Mr Lloyd’s family said: ‘He is stable and responding to the treatment and dedicated care that he is receiving from the brilliant doctors, nurses and other healthcare staff at the hospital.’

Mr Lloyd has been the Labour MP for Rochdale since 2017 after serving as MP for Stretford between 1983 and 2012.

He has also served as Greater Manchester police and crime commissioner and interim mayor of Greater Manchester.

Labour’s new leader, Sir Keir Starmer, currently conducting an on-going party re-shuffle since his election on Saturday, tweeted: ‘Wishing @tony4rochdale a swift and full recovery from coronavirus. Our thoughts are with him, his family and friends at this difficult time.’

A Labour Party spokesman said Mr Lloyd’s family will not be issuing any further statements.

Manchester-born Mr Lloyd has been a major figure in politics in the North West of England for decades, having also served as the MP for Manchester Central between 1997 and 2012.

He is being cared for at Manchester Royal Infirmary - and is in a stable condition, his family has said

He is being cared for at Manchester Royal Infirmary – and is in a stable condition, his family has said

He served in Jeremy Corbyn’s shadow cabinet and was also minister of state in the Foreign and Commonwealth Office under Tony Blair and chairman of the Parliamentary Labour Party for four years until 2010.

Boris Johnson insisted he is in ‘good spirits’ in hospital today despite mounting fears over his ‘persistent’ coronavirus symptoms.

The PM thanked ‘brilliant’ NHS staff after he was dramatically admitted to St Thomas’, near Downing Street, last night, with doctors alarmed that his temperature has still not dropped 10 days after his positive diagnosis.

Taking to Twitter, the 55-year-old insisted he was undergoing ‘routine tests’ and was ‘still in touch with my team’ as the government battles the deadly UK outbreak.

But there are warnings from ministers that Mr Johnson has ‘risked his health’ by keeping up a frantic workrate, while one senior Tory said he must learn he is ‘not indispensable’ and has to rest. One MP suggested that he was too keen to emulate his hero, Winston Churchill by defying illness.

No10 has insisted it was not an emergency admission and the premier remains in control of the government’s response, despite staying in hospital with no clear timeframe for being discharged.

However, his effective deputy Dominic Raab chaired the daily coronavirus crisis committee meeting this morning, and full Cabinet tomorrow has been postponed.

The PM’s spokesman refused to say whether there has been a diagnosis of pneumonia, although they dismissed claims emanating from Russia that he is on a ventilator as ‘disinformation’.

Asked if symptoms are ‘mild’ – the word previously used to describe them – the spokesman instead said they were ‘persistent’ and included a ‘a temperature and a cough’.

Mr Johnson tweeted: ‘Last night, on the advice of my doctor, I went into hospital for some routine tests as I’m still experiencing coronavirus symptoms. I’m in good spirits and keeping in touch with my team, as we work together to fight this virus and keep everyone safe.

‘I’d like to say thank you to all the brilliant NHS staff taking care of me and others in this difficult time. You are the best of Britain. Stay safe everyone, and please remember to stay at home to protect the NHS and save lives.’

Experts say there is a risk of pneumonia when a temperature lasts more than a week. There have been claims Mr Johnson has been coughing heavily during conference calls.

Mr Johnson’s spokesman said: ‘The Prime Minister was admitted to hospital for tests last night, his symptoms have remained persistent,’ the spokesman said.

‘He had a comfortable night in St Thomas’s Hospital in London and is in good spirits. He remains in hospital under observation.’

It emerged at the weekend that Mr Johnson’s pregnant partner Carrie Symonds has also been suffering coronavirus, although she is now ‘on the mend’. The government’s chief medical adviser Chris Whitty has also recovered in a glimmer of good news.

Earlier, Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick said Mr Johnson had been ‘working incredibly hard’ and said he hoped he would be back in Downing Street soon – but did not rule out him being forced to stay in for longer.