News, Culture & Society

Life behind bars for Kristi Abrahams, Nadia Khalil, Sharon Yarnton

Kristi Abrahams

Kristi Abrahams and her boyfriend Robert Smith were arrested in April 2011 eight months after the death of her six-year-old daughter Kiesha.

The little girl was relentlessly abused by her mother, who was unable to care for her due to abuse she herself suffered as a child. 

Abrahams also hated how Kiesha resembled her ex-partner Christopher Weippeart, the girl’s biological father.

Though Kiesha’s body was burned after her death, a post-mortem found 10 separate injuries to her head, jaw, and body, including teeth fractures.

Abrahams abused her daughter for more of her short life, but it escalated in the 18 months before her death.

Abrahams (pictured) initially said she had put Keisha to bed in their Hebersham home at about 9.30pm but had disappeared by the following morning 

When a case worker spoke to Kiesha in 2007, when she was three, she pointed to a burn mark and said ‘mum did that’ and ‘mum hit there’.

Kiesha died when Abrahams struck her up to two times when she refused to put on her pyjamas one night in August 2010.

The couple did not seek medical help after Kiesha was beaten and instead put her in the shower and then to bed, where she died. 

After finding her dead, they hid her body in a suitcase for three days, then took it to bushland and burned it, burying her remains in a shallow grave.

They reported her missing and gained an outpouring of support from Australians after appearing on TV several times.

But it didn’t take long for police to suspect them, and Abrahams eventually made a tearful confession to an undercover cop.

Abrahams claimed she just gave her daughter ‘a little nudge’ and she fell over and hit her head on the floor, but forensic evidence disproved this and pointed to forceful blows to the head.

Abrahams was jailed for 22 years for the murder of her daughter Kiesha (pictured)

Abrahams was jailed for 22 years for the murder of her daughter Kiesha (pictured)

Both she and Smith were arrested in April 2011, eight months after Kiesha’s death, charged with murder and manslaughter respectively.

Smith pleaded guilty that December, but Abrahams resisted until the day before her trial in 2013 when she admitted her guilt.

Abrahams was jailed for 22-and-a-half years with a non-parole period of 16 years, and Smith got a minimum of 12 years.

Smith is eligible for parole and is expected to be released as early as April 21, triggering public protest earlier this week.

Nadia Khalil

For 15 years, Nadia Khalil preyed on young offenders while working as a youth justice officer at Reiby Juvenile Justice Centre in Sydney in 1994 to 2009.

She was arrested in 2017 and jailed for 12 years in 2021 on 20 charges of sexually abusing five teenage boys between 1997 and 2005.

However, two more men spoke out since then, and a study found she may have abused more than a dozen others during her employment there.

Two men who told their stories were just 15 or 16 when they claimed Khalil was flirty with them and gave them cigarettes.

This progressed to sexual acts until Khalil allegedly convinced them to have sex with her, despite their young age and her authority over them.

One of the men, Gary Glover, told the ABC he felt ‘ashamed and dirty’ after being sexually abused by her and it affected his relationships with women after he was released.

‘I knew it was abuse because I felt sick afterwards; I felt like I didn’t want to do that and she made me do it,’ he said.

Nadia Khalil, now 49, is serving 12 years in prison for child sex offences she committed while employed as a youth justice officer at Reiby Juvenile Justice Centre

Nadia Khalil, now 49, is serving 12 years in prison for child sex offences she committed while employed as a youth justice officer at Reiby Juvenile Justice Centre

Just weeks from his release date in August 1997, Khalil gave Gary her contact details and he escaped out of the bathroom window of his cell with another boy.

He claimed the next day she picked him up and they went to her house where they had sex while he spent six months on the run before being caught by police.

Clinical notes from a therapy session in September 2020 record Gary saying Khalil ‘ruined all adult [relationships with] women.

‘She was dirty and sick,’ he said.

The prison was warned about Khalil’s overly ‘hand-on’ contact with inmates as early as an internal report from 1996 that recommended she not work there, but nothing was done and her abuse continued.

An unreleased report by Voice of a Survivor spoke to 14 former detainees who said they were abuse by a guard named Nadia, who the charity believes to be Khalil.

Khalil’s crimes were not exposed until 2016 during the Royal Commission into Child Sexual Abuse, prompting police to charge her in 2017.

Sharon Yarnton

Senior prison officer Sharon Yarnton conspired to blow up her husband Dean after discovering he started a new relationship a year before their marriage broke down.

She cooked up a ‘haphazard’ plan at a meeting with three of her son’s friends at Caringbah McDonald’s ahead of the murder attempt in February 2015.

Yarnton held a ‘last supper’ at Merrylands Bowling Club to commemorate their separation where Dean drank eight to 12 beers.

Dean fell asleep in the passenger seat of his Nissan Navara, likely with the aid of sedatives Yarnton is believed to have put in some of his beers.

Sharon Yarnton, 53 (pictured) was sentenced to 16 years in jail after trying to kill her prison guard husband at Picnic Point in Sydney's southwest in February 2015

Dean Yarnton (pictured), woke up to a hissing gas bottle in the back seat at Picnic Point, about 23 km from Sydney's south-west

Sharon Yarnton had arranged for her husband Dean to be burned to death in his ute, after getting him drunk during a ‘last supper’ with their friends

She drove him to bushland where her co-conspirators Monique Hayes, 28, her husband Fady Houda, 27, and their friend Anthony Mouhtaris, 25, met them.

They were carrying gas bottles they put around the car and doused it in petrol, with a rigged to set it all alight.

Yarnton went into the trees nearby so she could claim to have been going to the toilet when the car suddenly exploded.

Dean woke up to the sound of the gas bottle hissing and jumped out of the car to confront his estranged wife and prevent a horrible death.

Yarnton had also falsified evidence that Dean piled up huge gambling debts to loan sharks she had to take out loans to pay, and was abusive to her.

Monique Hayes and Fady Houda

Monique Hayes and Fady Houda 

‘According to you I’m a monster, a thief, a gambler, a rapist, an alcoholic and a wife-basher – you know they are all lies,’ Dean said in a victim impact statement. 

Yarnton was at the time a senior assistant superintendent at Long Bay Jail in Sydney after a 25-year prison career, so her downfall was shocking.

She was jailed for 16 years for attempted murder and will be eligible for parole in September 2027 after at least 10 years behind bars.

He lackeys also received lengthy sentences.

Paedophile mum

This woman, who can’t be named, sexually abused her son, 12, and daughter, 11, and pimped them out to other paedophiles.

The depraved mother, now 42, and her husband, now 62, along with another man named Bruce Ford, ran an international network of paedophiles from the Central Coast. 

They linked up with other paedophile parents who abused their children and streamed and uploaded video of the horrific acts online.

A court heard she was groomed to participate in the abuse, but also encouraged the other parents to abuse their children.

Judge Roy Ellis said ‘defiling her son and daughter demonstrated an unfathomable level of depravity’ that was ‘impossible to grasp’.

She was finally arrested in 2010 and jailed for 18 years in April 2012, with non-parole period of 13 years.


Find local lawyers and law firms at