Barry Chambers was driving back from visiting a friend when he stopped off at the New Mersey Shopping Park branch of McDonald’s in Liverpool last month
A pensioner has claimed a McDonald’s employee spilled boiling tea over him before making the second degree burns worse by putting ice on them.
Barry Chambers was driving back from visiting a friend when he stopped off at the New Mersey Shopping Park branch of McDonald’s in Liverpool last month.
The 58-year-old retired helicopter pilot claims he was offered a scalding cup of tea with a lid that ‘hadn’t been checked according to procedure’ and spilled over his arm.
The server then handed Mr Chambers some napkins and ice to put on the burn, which he claims exacerbated the burn as it is ‘the worst thing you can do’.
The father-of-two claims the burns were so bad that he was still getting the bleeding wound redressed every day at a walk-in clinic a whole month later.
He believes he has been scarred for life.
Mr Chambers said: ‘It’s horrendous – a nightmare. My wound is still bleeding nearly a month after the incident – 34 days later. It’s just not healing the way it should.
‘The burns are second degree, very severe. In truth it’s been an absolute nightmare, just horrendous.
‘I was just driving back from a friend’s house and I thought I’d go through McDonald’s drive through for a drink.
‘The woman who gave it to me didn’t check the lid. They should check the lid to make sure it’s on properly but she didn’t.
‘They call it a “lid test” and apparently all staff are supposed to do one. You just pick the cup up by the lid if you can to see if it’s on properly – but she didn’t do that and it just popped off and the scalding tea went down my arm.
The 58-year-old retired helicopter pilot claims he was offered a scalding cup of tea with a lid that ‘hadn’t been checked according to procedure’ – that spilled over his arm
‘The next protocol would have been to get first aid but she just ran off and got some ice and I was just sat in the car burned at that point.
‘When she gave me the ice I used it but only realised after that this is the worst thing you can do to a burn.
‘Strangely, I couldn’t feel much when it happened and I wasn’t actually feeling my arm. It was only later on at night that I could feel it. That night it just started leaking blood and becoming painful.’
Mr Chambers claims he thought nothing of it at the time, but, when he realised the injury wasn’t healing by itself, he went to his local hospital and walk-in clinic to get treatment.
Mr Chambers said: ‘It just kept oozing blood and water.
‘So then I just thought I had to seek medical help and I went to Whiston Hospital and then to my local walk in centre. It’s still painful after a whole month.’
He claims he received an email where McDonald’s denied any liability for the incident, and offered meal vouchers in compensation.
He said: ‘I emailed McDonald’s and they’ve offered me nothing and they haven’t even accepted responsibility. ‘The woman who responded to me when I complained by email said that they didn’t accept it was their fault. I think they’re just denying liability on their part.’
Mr Chambers shared pictures of his horrific injuries in a desperate bid to raise awareness about the dangers of hot drinks.
The dad-of-two claims burns were so bad that he was still getting the bleeding wound redressed every day at a walk-in clinic a whole month later and believes he has been scarred for life. He is pictured flying a helicopter
He said: ‘I took to social media to show how the staff had injured me. I posted pictures of my arm. The whole thing has just been a complete nightmare..’
A McDonald’s spokesperson said: ‘The safety and wellbeing of our customers and employees is our first priority and all of our restaurant crew are trained to serve hot drinks in a safe manner.
‘We are sorry to hear that Mr Chambers sustained an injury following his visit to our restaurant.
‘Having investigated the matter, we’re aware that when Mr Chambers received his drink he informed a member of crew he had spilt some and required assistance, in which he was provided with some napkins and ice.
‘The team weren’t aware of the full extent of Mr Chambers’ injuries until the following day when he called the restaurant to make a complaint.
‘This was passed on to our Customer Services team who have since been in touch with Mr Chambers. If Mr Chambers is still concerned, we would encourage him to get back in touch with the team.’