Devastated fans and celebrity friends paid tribute to Il Divo star Carlos Marin on Sunday evening after the singer’s shattered bandmates confirmed he had lost his battle with COVID-19, aged 53.
TV presenter Lorraine Kelly and Strictly Come Dancing judge Bruno Tonioli were among those to share fond memories of the Spanish baritone, whose life-support was turned off just days after he was placed in a medically induced coma at Manchester Royal Hospital.
Marin, who had been fully vaccinated, fell ill with the respiratory virus on December 7th and was intubated while in medical care after having his oxygen ‘compromised’.
Confirming his death on Twitter, bandmates David Miller, Sébastien Izambard and Urs Bühler said: ‘It is with heavy hearts that we are letting you know that our friend and partner, Carlos Marin, has passed away.
Tragic: Devastated fans paid tribute to Il Divo star Carlos Marin on Sunday evening after the singer’s heartbroken bandmates confirmed he had lost his battle with COVID-19, aged 53
‘He will be missed by his friends, family and fans. There will never be another voice or spirit like Carlos. For 17 years the four of us have been on this incredible journey of Il Divo together, and we will miss our dear friend.
‘We hope and pray that his beautiful soul will rest in peace. With Love — David, Sebastien and Urs.’
Kelly, who interviewed the operatic band numerous times, Tonioli and actress Emma Kennedy were among the first to react as news of his death broke.
Taking to Twitter, the breakfast TV presenter wrote: ‘This is so sad. I had the joy of interviewing Carlos and @ildivoofficial many times over the years. He was such a class act. Thoughts with everyone who loved him.’
Tonioli added: ‘Devastated @ildivoofficial @carlosmarin_ passed away We had the best time putting together the first @ildivoofficial performance 17 yeas ago great voice great man a true passionate Spirit with wicked sense of humor we will miss you so sad.’ [sic]
Announcement: Confirming his death on social media, bandmates David Miller, Sébastien Izambard and Urs Bühler insisted there will ‘never be another voice’ like his
Paying tribute to Marin, Kennedy urged others to protect themselves against the virus, writing: ‘Carlos Marin news is horrible. Get vaccinated. Get boosted. RIP.’
Fans have since shared their memories of the talented singer on social media, while offering their condolences to his family and his shattered bandmates.
Baritone Marin had been a star of Il Divo since its inception in 2003, and the group has gone to sell more than 30 million copies of their albums worldwide.
The group are also considered the pioneers of operatic pop, or ‘popera’, and their live concerts have sold more than two million tickets worldwide.
In our thoughts: Fans took to social media in their droves as news of his death broke on Sunday
Il Divo star Carlos Marin has died in hospital after his life support machine was turned off following a Covid battle
Il Divo’s concert in Bath on December 6 was the last time Mr Marín (right) was seen on stage
Il Divo was created by Simon Cowell after he decided to form a multinational quartet of classical singers inspired by opera group The Three Tenors, which included Pavarotti.
Paying tribute to the singer, Lorraine Kelly said: ‘This is so sad. I had the joy of interviewing Carlos and @ildivoofficial many times over the years.
‘He was such a class act. Thoughts with everyone who loved him x.’
Strictly Come Dancing judge Bruno Tonioli added: ‘Devastated @ildivoofficial @carlosmarin_ passed away.
‘We had the best time putting together the first @ildivoofficial performance 17 yeas ago great voice great man a true passionate Spirit with wicked sense of humor we will miss you so sad.’
Before his death today, Il Divo had said they were ‘hoping and praying’ for Marín after the group were forced to cancel their UK tour.
His agent said: ‘His ex-wife Geraldine Larrosa is with him in hospital because although they separated 12 years ago they remain great friends.’
The pair had been due to perform together on TVE1 on New Year’s Eve.
French-born singer Geraldine Larrosa, better known by her stage name of Innocence, had recorded a cover of Bohemian Rhapsody with Marin to be aired during a special on Spanish TV.
The band also performed in Southend and Bournemouth, where they are pictured on December 4
Il Divo star Carlos Marín – pictured with his ex wife Geraldine Larrosa (stage name Innocence) had been placed in an induced coma after being admitted to hospital
Earlier this month, he shared a selfie video from beside a pool in Maspalomas, Gran Canaria, to promote the final leg of Il Divo’s tour.
He then performed in Southend, Bournemouth and Brighton – when he posted an aInstagram video which showed him looking healthy while talking enthusiastically about the upcoming performance.
Il Divo’s concert in Bath on December 6 was the last time he was seen on stage and he was admitted to hospital two days later, El Espanol reported.
Gigs in Hull and Nottingham were called off and on December 10, Il Divo announced all subsequent shows had been postponed until 2022.
He split from the 44-year-old three years later, but they remained friends and had been seen attending events together (including this concert in Madrid)
Mr Marin had been a star of Il Divo since its inception in 2003, and sold over 30 million copies of their albums worldwide
The singer is pictured second left with L-R David Miller, Urs Buhler and Sebastien Izambard in 2019
It comes just days after Il Divo announced they’d postponed their remaining UK tour dates until 2022 due to ‘illness’
Announcing their tour had been suspended, Il Divo tweeted: ‘Unfortunately, due to illness, the remaining dates for Il Divo’s December 2021 UK tour have been postponed until December 2022.
‘Il Divo are deeply sorry to their fans, but look forward to returning to the road in the new year and seeing you all in the run up to next Christmas.’
Il Divo – which means ‘star’ in Italian – had been scheduled to perform two festive European shows, one in Lisbon and another in La Coruña, and the latter show was recently postponed until July 15, 2022.
Last month a 72-year-old woman from Barcelona was convicted of coercion and fined €60 for sending Mr Marín explicit and threatening letters.
The woman – named only as Rosa – was also given a six-month restraining order preventing her from coming within 500metres of Mr Marín.
His lawyer filed an appeal against the lightness of her sentence, noting he’d had to change his ‘work and life habits’, The Olive Press reported.