News, Culture & Society

Loved ones slam fire service after a woman dies in fire and fire truck ‘went to the wrong address’ 


Buying or leasing a car in the UK? Check MOT of car before you do.

Loved ones slam fire service after a woman, 55, dies in her burning house when a fire truck drove past her home as it ‘went to the WRONG address’

  • Loved ones of woman who died in a fire slamming firefighters for not saving her
  • Flames surged through ceiling of 55-year-old Vivian Rodger’s room at 3.24am
  • By the time firefighters made it into her home at 5am, Ms Rodgers had died
  • When the call was first made, a fire truck went to a house four doors down
  • CCTV footage shows the truck drive past her house to return 90 minutes later 

Loved ones of a woman who died after flames engulfed her house are slamming emergency services for driving past her house more than an hour before her death.

The wild blaze surged through the ceiling and consumed the bedroom of 55-year-old Vivian Rodger at her Mill Park home in Melbourne’s north-east.

By the time firefighters made it into the Maybury Drive home at 5am, Ms Rodgers, who uses a wheelchair, had already died at the scene.

Loved ones of a woman who died after flames engulfed her house are slamming emergency services for driving past her house more than an hour before her death

The wild blaze surged through the ceiling and consumed the bedroom of 55-year-old Vivian Rodger (pictured)

The wild blaze surged through the ceiling and consumed the bedroom of 55-year-old Vivian Rodger (pictured)

The Metropolitan Fire Brigade was alerted to the out-of-control fire at 3.24am, but a truck arrived at a house four doors down, Nine News reported.

‘I opened the door, and the fireman standing there said, ‘Have you got a fire’. I said no everything is fine, and went back to bed,’ resident George said. 

CCTV footage then shows the emergency vehicle drive past Ms Rodger’s home only to return more than 90 minutes later when neighbours again called for help.

Emergency services believe the fire was sparked when the 55-year-old dropped a cigarette in bed.

Neighbours ran to her aid, attempting to hose down the blaze and get inside, but were unsuccessful. 

‘My cousin grabbed the hose and tried to hose down the front, while me and my brother went and broke the door down at the back,’ neighbour Tony Keresoma said.

‘If we had known earlier then we could’ve done something but it was just too late.’

Loved ones are now slamming fire services, claiming the loved mother-of-two could have been saved if the fire truck arrived at the correct address.

Ms Rodgers lived at the home for 20 years, and suffered a stroke two years ago leaving her bound to a wheelchair

Ms Rodgers lived at the home for 20 years, and suffered a stroke two years ago leaving her bound to a wheelchair

Ms Rodger lived at the home for 20 years, and suffered a stroke two years ago leaving her bound to a wheelchair. 

The MFB said in a statement that they will be conducting an investigation into the incident.

‘MFB will be conducting its own internal investigation including examining the circumstances relating to other mobilisations earlier this morning,’ the statement said. 

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.