News, Culture & Society

Man, 20, DIED for 20 minutes after being electrocuted

Man, 20, who DIED for 20 minutes after being electrocuted while carrying a metal ladder ‘miraculously’ survives with no side effects

  • Michael Truitt, of Livonia, Michigan, was helping his stepdad with some DIY
  • A metal ladder he was carrying touched a live wire and his heart stopped
  • Against the odds, after 20 minutes with no heartbeat, he suffered no brain damage 

A 20-year-old died for 20 minutes after a metal ladder he was carrying touched a live wire, electrocuting him.

Michael Truitt, of Livonia, Michigan, was helping his stepdad with some DIY work at home when his heart stopped.

He can’t remember falling to the ground, or even the pain.

All he knows is he went from walking to suddenly gasping for air on a bed in Beaumont Hospital, surrounded by wide-eyed doctors holding defibrillator pads. 

Michael Truitt, of Livonia, Michigan, (pictured with Dr Angel Chandler, left, and clinical nurse Yasmeen Bachir, right) was helping his stepdad with some DIY work at home when his heart stopped

‘When he became conscious again, he was like the Hulk, grabbing the railings and shaking the bed with huge strength. It took the entire care team to hold Michael,’ Yasmeen Bachir, a clinical nurse who was part of the medical team peering over him, said on the hospital’s blog. 

When Michael fell, it took paramedics four minutes to arrive. 

By the time they got to him, his chances seemed slim. 

His heart had stopped, and did not restart in the hospital despite repeated attempts with the defibrillator.  

Finally, after 20 minutes, he burst back to consciousness. 

Astonishingly, the only side effect Michael seems to have suffered is some loss of feeling to his toes, where the electrical current shot out. 

But, against the odds, his brain function is fine.  

‘In less than five minutes, brain cells start to die from lack of oxygen,’ Barbara Smith, the director of trauma services at Beaumont, said.

‘Michael’s resuscitation is miraculous. He did not lose any brain function. It’s a testament to the importance of immediate continuous CPR to move oxygenated blood to the brain.’

Astonishingly, the only side effect Michael seems to have suffered is some loss of feeling to his toes, where the electrical current shot out. But, against the odds, his brain function is fine

Astonishingly, the only side effect Michael seems to have suffered is some loss of feeling to his toes, where the electrical current shot out. But, against the odds, his brain function is fine

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.