News, Culture & Society

Man, aged in his 90s, becomes Australia’s 105 death in the coronavirus pandemic

Man in his 90s dies from coronavirus in Victoria – taking Australia’s death toll to 105

A man in his 90s has died after contracting coronavirus in Victoria, taking the nation’s death toll to 105.

On Sunday, the state recorded an additional 127 new cases of the deadly respiratory infection.

Victoria is in the midst of a second wave of COVID-19, following almost three weeks of ‘unacceptably high’ new diagnoses. 

On Monday, Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews confirmed the latest fatality.  

‘Sadly it is my duty to inform you a man in his 90s has passed away overnight. He was in the care of one of his hospitals,’ Mr Andrews said during his morning press conference.

‘We send our condolences and best wishes to his family and loved ones, his friends, this will be a difficult day for them.’

Mr Andrews said he would not be providing further details about the man’s identity ‘out of respect’ to his family. 

There are an additional 31 Victorians still in hospital with COVID-19, including five who remain in intensive care. 

Of the 127 new cases picked up yesterday, 44 are connected to previously known and contained outbreaks. 

A further 40 are the product of routine testing, while 53 are under investigation. 

During Monday’s press conference, Mr Andrews also announced the border between Victoria and New South Wales would close from Tuesday at midnight. 

The decision comes after Victoria was forced to entirely lockdown 12 postcodes throughout Melbourne in an effort to stem the spread of COVID-19. 

More to come. 



Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.