News, Culture & Society

Man charged after flood-ravaged homes are looted of more than $80,000 worth of goods 

Man charged with stealing $80,000 of goods by looting flood-ravaged homes

  • A man has stolen up to $80,000 worth of goods from flood-ravaged homes 
  • The 57-year-old Townsville man was charged with two counts of stealing 
  • Police executed a search warrant at a Mount Lousia home on Thursday  

A man has been charged after stealing up to $80,000 worth of goods from flood-ravaged homes in Townsville.

The 57-year-old man was charged with two counts of stealing after police executed a search warrant at a Mount Lousia home on Thursday. 

Police found a large quantity of alleged stolen property including leather furniture, dining tables, dining suites, beds, fridges and washing machines inside a shipping container. 

A man has been charged after stealing up to $80,000 worth of goods from flood-ravaged homes

The man allegedly stole the property – with an estimated value between 50 and 80 thousands dollars – from homes in Townsville between February 1 and February 21. 

He allegedly took the stolen property from the yards of homes and businesses that had been impacted by the Townsville floods.

The items were often left lying in the front yards to dry. 

Officers were alerted to the stealing on Thursday morning after a member of the public reported him allegedly stealing from a home in Idalia.

They visited the scene and arrested the man in the front yard of a home on Summerlake Court.

Tactical Services Group Inspector Sean Dugger said the crime was a low-blow to residents who had already suffered enough, the ABC reported.

The 57-year-old Townsville man was charged with two counts of stealing after police executed a search warrant at a Mount Lousia home on Thursday

The 57-year-old Townsville man was charged with two counts of stealing after police executed a search warrant at a Mount Lousia home on Thursday

He allegedly took the stolen property from the yards of homes and businesses that had been impacted by the Townsville flood

He allegedly took the stolen property from the yards of homes and businesses that had been impacted by the Townsville flood

‘This is probably the last thing they need, people coming in and making the process of getting back to normality even more difficult,’ he said.

‘Some of the items are needed for the insurance assessors to come and properly do their role.’

The 57-year-old man is due to appear in the Townsville Magistrates Court on March 22. 

Police have deployed extra officers to patrol the flood affected areas and urge people to stay away from the streets in question unless they have a legitimate reason to be there. 

‘If you don’t belong in the area, if you’re not a resident of the suburb and you don’t need to be there, stay away,’ Inspector Dugger said. 

The 57-year-old man (pictured) is due to appear in the Townsville Magistrates Court on March 22

The 57-year-old man (pictured) is due to appear in the Townsville Magistrates Court on March 22

Sorry we are not currently accepting comments on this article.

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.