News, Culture & Society

Man claims maggots were in his Woolworths nuts

A man who allegedly pulled a live maggot from his mouth after eating nuts he purchased at a Sydney supermarket has slammed the store’s management.

The 27-year-old, known only as Fauzaan, claimed he bought the mixed bag of dried fruit and nuts at Wetherill Park Woolworths about midday on Friday.

He said he filled the bag from a self-serve dispenser and only realised it was tainted after he started eating and felt something move inside his mouth, 9News reported.

A man who allegedly pulled a live maggot from his mouth after eating nuts he purchased at a Sydney supermarket has slammed the store’s management

Shocking video and photos captured from the alleged incident shows moths flickering and maggots crawling inside the self-serve dispenser as well as up close

Shocking video and photos captured from the alleged incident shows moths flickering and maggots crawling inside the self-serve dispenser as well as up close

After making the gross discovery, Fauzaan returned to the store to make a complaint but he alleged the store’s management didn’t provide ‘adequate customer service’.

The customer said when he made the complaint he initially spoke to by female staff member who allegedly told him the store manager ‘was in a meeting’.

Fauzaan then spoke to another male staff member, who asked him to show him exactly where he found the creepy crawlies in the store.

‘When we went there, while I was waiting for him , I looked in the jar properly and there was a little maggot and a moth in it,’ Fauzaan said.

Shocking video and photos captured from the alleged incident shows moths flickering and maggots crawling inside the self-serve dispenser as well as up close.

Fauzaan said he was then given a helpline number to call and offered a $40 voucher by the female employee, who asked him to email photos and videos to Woolworths.

The 27-year-old claimed he bought the mixed bag of fruit and nuts at Wetherill Park Woolworths about midday on Friday

The 27-year-old claimed he bought the mixed bag of fruit and nuts at Wetherill Park Woolworths about midday on Friday

A Woolworths spokesperson told Daily Mail Australia the store is aware of the alleged incident and takes food safety and quality very seriously

A Woolworths spokesperson told Daily Mail Australia the store is aware of the alleged incident and takes food safety and quality very seriously

He said after making the discovery, the male employee allegedly only removed the identified container and didn’t bother to properly inspect other nearby food items.

‘All they did while I was there was to take that one jar off the shelf… They should take more care for these things,’ Fauzaan said.  

After dealing with the store’s staff, the 27-year-old believes the supermarket failed to provide him with adequate customer service given how serious the situation was. 

‘It’s negligence. I couldn’t sleep last night because I’d just eaten maggots,’ he said.

Fauzaan said he was left traumatised by the ordeal and thought he would never have eaten a maggot in his entire life.

A Woolworths spokesperson told Daily Mail Australia the store is aware of the alleged incident and it takes food safety and quality very seriously.

‘Our store team has removed the specific product from the shelf and undertaken a full check of remaining products in this range and section so customers can be confident of product quality,’ the spokesperson said. 

‘We have apologised directly to the customer and are providing them with a gift card.’

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.