News, Culture & Society

Manchester City promise to keep their top stars in the loop as they appeal against two-year UEFA ban

Manchester City promise to keep their top stars in the loop as they appeal against two-year Champions League ban by UEFA over financial fair play amid fears of player exodus

  • Manchester City are fighting to stay in the Champions League after a 2 year ban  
  • The Etihad club have been accused of breaching rules on financial fair play 
  • They will take their case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport to appeal the ruling
  • City have vowed to keep their stars updated as they battle against the decision
  • There are fears that the club could lose their best players if the ban is upheld 

Manchester City have promised to regularly update players on their forthcoming appeal against a two-year European ban.

Etihad chiefs are vowing to be a transparent as possible following talks with the squad in the aftermath of Friday night’s bombshell announcement.

There are major concerns from within the club that players will look to leave the current Premier League champions because of the Champions League ban.

Pep Guardiola has vowed to stay at Manchester City despite their two-year European ban 

Nevertheless, City chiefs have told the players they will be kept in the loop every step of the way as they launch a fight against their ban.

City are expected to lodge an appeal with the Court of Arbitration for Sport in the coming days.

Sportsmail understands City officials have already intimated to players that they expect, at the very least, to have their two season UEFA suspension halved.

The outcome of City’s pending appeal will likely have a significant bearing on how players view their long term futures at the club, with agents certain to use updates to prepare for the summer transfer window.

The news has sparked concern that Manchester City could lose some of their top players

The news has sparked concern that Manchester City could lose some of their top players

Raheem Sterling became the first Manchester City star to commit his future to the club following last week’s ruling.

The ruling sparked speculation regarding a host of the club’s top players, who are being tipped to leave the due to their pending European exile.

Indeed, Real Madrid – who are known admirers of Sterling – are already being linked with a mega money move for the England star this summer.

However, Sterling does not want the current uncertainty over City’s European future to derail his focus going into the business end of the season.

Raheem Sterling has pledged his future to City but his team-mates are yet to follow suit

Raheem Sterling has pledged his future to City but his team-mates are yet to follow suit

City officials are keen to reassure their stars as they lodge an appeal against UEFA's ruling

City officials are keen to reassure their stars as they lodge an appeal against UEFA’s ruling

The attacker will not be distracted by any talk of an exit this summer and is purely concentrated on trying to secure City’s first ever Champions League title and complete a domestic cup double.

Colossal Sports Management CEO and founder Aidy Ward, who has represented Sterling since he was at school, told Sportsmail: ‘Raheem is solely focused on Manchester City and will not be distracted by any talk of transfers to any club at the moment.’

The news will come as a huge boost to City and manager Pep Guardiola, who knows he will need Sterling fully committed to the club if they are to stand any chance of lifting the Champions League this season.

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk