Manchester United 2-2 Manchester City: Spoils shared in blood-and-thunder derby as the visitors end a three-game losing run in the WSL… but see Georgia Stanway sent off for a horror challenge
- Manchester City came into the game off the back of three straight league losses
- Georgia Stanway was sent off after a terrible studs-up challenge on Leah Galton
- However, Khadija Shaw’s close-range header gave Gareth Taylor’s side the lead
- Manchester United equalised courtesy of Lucy Staniforth’s clever backheel
- They then got their noses in front through Alessia Russo’s accurate drive
- But Ellen White ensured that City earned a share of the spoils on 79 minutes
Manchester United and Manchester City could not be separated after an enthralling encounter at Leigh Sports Village.
The match’s first big incident came in the 35th minute as Georgia Stanway was sent off for planting her right boot into the left thigh, with referee Rebecca Welch in no doubt about brandishing the red card.
Despite their player disadvantage, City took the lead minutes later when Demi Stokes swung in an inviting cross and Khadija Shaw guided a header past Mary Earps.
Ellen White came off the bench just before the hour to earn Manchester City a vital point
Gareth Taylor’s side came into the match off the back of three straight losses in the WSL
United got on level terms after the break through Lucy Staniforth and turned the game on its head when Alessia Russo drove into the far corner.
But veteran goalscorer Ellen White came off the bench to pounce after Jess Park’s long-range effort was brilliantly tipped away by Mary Earps.