Manchester United midfielder Andreas Pereira facing six-game ban for breaking Brazilian quarantine rules after he arrived at Flamengo on loan from Old Trafford… with sports court set to deliver verdict on Friday
- Sports bosses in Brazil are investigating Andreas Pereira over quarantine rules
- The Superior Sports Court for Football has announced it plans to judge the case
- Travellers who arrive via the UK are required to observe a 14-day isolation period
- Pereira moved to Flamengo on a season-long loan from Man United on August 21
Manchester United’s Andreas Pereira could land a six-match ban after sports bosses in Brazil announced they are investigating the loanee and new club Flamengo over a possible breach of quarantine rules.
Pereira joined the reigning Serie A champions on August 21 and may have completed only half of the required 14-day quarantine for travellers passing through the UK to Brazil, according to the country’s Superior Sports Court for Football.
The case is scrutinising Pereira’s involvement in Flamengo’s 4-0 win at Santos on August 28, when he scored the final goal.
Andreas Pereira and Flamengo could be punished over an alleged Covid rule breach in Brazil
The Manchester United midfielder joined the Brazilian giants on a season-long loan in August
In a statement, the court said: ‘Flamengo and Andreas Pereira will be judged next Friday, October 8, by the Fifth Disciplinary Committee of the Superior Court of Sports Justice for Football.
‘The club was denounced for having climbed halfway before the mandatory 14-day quarantine period established by ANVISA Ordinance 655/2021 for travelers passing through the United Kingdom. The player will be liable for conduct contrary to discipline or sports ethics.’
The court said it had seen a note from the Brazilian Health Regulatory Agency confirming that Pereira had completed paperwork agreeing to abide by their rules.
The announcement added: ‘The fact is that the facts narrated by the claimant Association already demonstrate “the existence of an infraction” and “its authorship” practiced by Flamengo and by the athlete, Andreas.
A World Cup qualifier between Brazil and Argentina was stopped by Covid chaos in September
‘The Attorney’s Office notes that there is no need to initiate a disciplinary inquiry to investigate facts duly substantiated by the Infringement Notice.’
The court added that the Brazilian Football Confederation has been asked to file the epidemiological questionnaire that it said had been filled out by Flamengo for Pereira’s selection against Santos, and that the ‘forms and documents completed by the athlete upon entering Brazil’ have been requested from the agency.
Brazil’s World Cup qualifier with Argentina descended into chaos last month when Brazilian health officials stormed onto the pitch over suspicions that four British-based players had evaded Covid-19 protocols in the country.
Aston Villa’s Emi Martinez and Tottenham pair Giovani Lo Celso and Christian Romero started the game for Argentina, with another Villa player, Emi Buendia, in the Argentina squad.
Reigning champions Flamengo are standing fourth after 19 games in Brazilian top flight Serie A
The game was abandoned less than 10 minutes in despite Spurs and Aston Villa striking deals with Argentina after Premier League clubs met to discuss the saga over Brazil’s red-list status and the surrounding quarantine rules.
FIFA threatened sanctions over the crisis, and there are fears of further wranglings after Liverpool duo Alisson and Fabinho and Chelsea defender Thiago Silva were among eight Premier League stars called up for the next round of internationals in South America.
The court said that Pereira’s hearing will be broadcast in a live session on its website.