- Sonya Bailey, 51, of Arab, Alabama has been charged with three felonies after allegedly engaging in sexual acts with a teenage student
- She is also accused of sending nude photos to the teenager while employed at West End High School
- Bailey was released on $60,000 bail and ordered to have no contact with the victim one day after being booked into the Etowah County Detention Center
- The commerce and information technology teacher resigned soon after she was charged with second degree rape and sodomy
- ‘I enjoy working with the students and trust they will leave my class having learned something beneficial toward their future,’ said Bailey in a school profile
Sonya Bailey (mugshot above) has been charged with three felonies after allegedly engaging in sexual acts with a student
An Alabama school teacher was arrested last month after being accused of having a sexual relationship with a student.
Sonya Bailey, 51, was booked into the Etowah County Detention Center on August 28 for allegedly engaging in sexual acts and sending the teenager explicit photos while working at West End High School.
She has now been charged with one count of a school employee engaging in a sex act with a student, one count of second degree sodomy and one count of second degree rape.
Bailey, who has two children and two young grandsons, was released the following day after posting a $60,000 property bond for the three felony counts.
‘I enjoy working with the students of WEHS and trust that they will leave my class having learned something beneficial toward their future,’ wrote Bailey in her teacher profile, which has been taken off school’s site but can still be found through an online search.
The age ad sex of the victim has not been released at this time.
Shortly after her release on Monday, Bailey submitted her resignation from her post as the commerce and information technology teacher at West End High School during an emergency school board meeting.
Allegations: She is also accused of sending nude photos to the teenager while employed at West End High School
Etowah County Superintendent Dr. Alan Cosby said in a statement shortly after: ‘Mrs. Bailey resignation was accepted by the Etowah County Board of Education on August 28th. Her resignation was accepted after these allegations came to light.’
He then noted: ‘We are fully cooperating with the Sheriff’s Office and District Attorney’s Office in this case.
Bailey was ordered to report to Etowah County Community Corrections after her release as well, and is to have no contact with the victim or the victim’s family.
‘This type of ridiculous behavior is completely uncalled for by someone who was trusted by the community to teach our kids,’ said Sheriff Todd Entrekin.
Brandi Fuller is investigating the allegations for the Etowah County Sheriff’s Office.