Mary Berry’s Quick Cooking: Italian galette
A quick and easy way to make a savoury tart. Using shop-bought puff pastry is a joy – be sure to buy the all-butter variety as this is the real deal with the best flavour. Serve the galette with a large salad or slaw.
PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES, PLUS CHILLING
COOK TIME: 20-25 MINUTES
plain flour, for dusting
1 x 320g packet of ready-rolled all-butter puff pastry
1 egg, beaten
2 tbsp sun-dried tomato paste
1 x 200g goat’s cheese log, cut into thin slices
200g (7oz) cherry tomatoes, halved
25g (1oz) pitted green olives
1 tsp thyme leaves
6 slices of parma ham
a few parmesan shavings (optional)
olive oil and balsamic glaze, for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 220C/fan 200C/ gas 7 and line a large baking sheet with baking paper.
- Scatter a little flour on your worktop, sit the puff pastry on top and re-roll into a circle about 28cm (11in) in diameter. Crimp the edges to give a twisted, rope-like effect, then brush the edges with beaten egg. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and place in the fridge to chill for 10 minutes, if time allows.
- Prick the base of the pastry all over with a fork, then use the back of a spoon to spread with the sun-dried tomato paste. Arrange the goat’s cheese slices on top and season with a little salt and pepper (see note), then scatter over the tomatoes, olives and thyme leaves.
- Bake on the top shelf of the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, scrunch up each slice of ham and arrange on top of the galette. Return to the oven to cook for another 5-10 minutes or until the ham is crispy and the pastry is golden underneath (see note).
- Scatter with rocket leaves and parmesan shavings, if you like, and drizzle over a little olive oil and balsamic glaze to serve.
- Be careful not to over-season with salt as the olives and parma ham can be quite salty.
- To make sure the pastry base is cooked right to the centre, lift an edge carefully with a palette knife to check that it is an even golden colour underneath.
The galette can be assembled 2-3 hours before baking and kept in the fridge.
Not suitable for freezing.