Mary’s fab fast feasts: Blueberry American muffins
These are like the traditional American muffins so don’t expect them to be very sweet. They are always best served warm.
PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 20-25 MINUTES
275g (10oz) self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
75g (3oz) caster sugar
225ml (8fl oz) milk
100g (4oz) butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 tsp vanilla extract (see note)
175g (6oz) fresh blueberries
- You will need a 12-hole muffin tin. Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6 and line the muffin tin with paper cases.
- Measure all the ingredients except the blueberries into a bowl and mix with a wooden spoon until just combined. Take care not to overwork the mixture. Stir in the blueberries, then divide evenly between the paper cases.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 20-25 minutes or until risen, cooked through and lightly golden.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.
- Always use vanilla extract as this is a natural flavouring made from the pod; vanilla essence is an artificial flavouring.
Best made on the day of serving.
Freeze on the same day and keep in the freezer for about a month.