Mary’s fab fast feasts: Chocolate chip traybake with vanilla mascarpone icing
A traybake is such a simple, easy type of cake to make, and very quick to mix using the all-in-one method.
MAKES: 16 Pieces
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 35 minutes, plus cooling
FOR THE SPONGE
4 tbsp cocoa powder, sifted
4 tbsp boiling water
4 large eggs
225g (8oz) baking spread,
straight from the fridge,
plus extra for greasing
225g (8oz) caster sugar
225g (8oz) self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
100g (4oz) dark chocolate chips
FOR THE ICING
250g (9oz) full-fat mascarpone cheese
3 tbsp icing sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla extract
cocoa powder, for dusting
- You will need a 23cm x 30cm (9in x 12in) traybake tin. Preheat the oven to 180C/60C fan/gas 4 and grease and line the tin with baking paper.
- First make the sponge. Measure the cocoa powder and boiling water into a large bowl and mix with a spoon into a smooth paste. Add all the remaining sponge ingredients except the chocolate chips and mix together using an electric hand whisk until light and fluffy in texture (see note). Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the sponge mixture into the prepared tin and level the surface. Bake in the middle of the oven for about 35 minutes, until the cake is coming away from the sides of the tin and is springy to the touch in the middle.
- Leave to cool in the tin on a wire rack.
- To make the icing, mix the mascarpone, icing sugar and vanilla extract together in a bowl. Spread over the surface of the cold cake and dust with cocoa powder to finish.
- Slice into about 16 pieces – squares or fingers – to serve.
Whisk the sponge for no more than 4 minutes as over-mixing can produce a dense cake.
Can be made and iced up to 8 hours ahead.
Freezes well, without the icing, for up to a month.